Meadville, PA, USA
Current test results:

F.C. .5
C.C. 0
pH 6.8
T.A. 110
CYA 70
C.H. 100

Our water has been clear all summer even through the transition to the TFP method. I can see the bottom, but it is really cloudy. I added the amount of bleach that pool math called for to get the F.C. To 9. I don't have any more bleach so I added a bag of powdered shock and it is still .5. I'm not sure what to do here. We have been having issues with ruining bathing suits since the switch to this method, so I'm considering going back to pucks and powder. What do I do to fix this?

Hi,
The cloudiness is not sudden, its been coming for a while, its just that you didn't know it, and so it seems sudden.

You need to do a proper SLAM. The cloudiness is algae that hasnt fully bloomed and turned green yet. If you get on it immediately, you can probably clear it up in a couple or 3 days. The longer you wait, the longer it will take to fix it.

My neighbor had the same thing happen last week and I had him fixed up in 3 days flat.

With CYA of 70 as you say you have, the FC SLAM level should be brought up to 28, and you need to keep it at 28 for 2 or 3 days, or however long it takes to finish the SLAM.
The SLAM is finished only when
1. The water is perfectly clear.
2. The CC is .5ppm or less
3. You pass the overnight chlorine loss test.

You have let the FC get too low for your CYA (see the FC/CYA Levels) and now stuff is growing in the water.
Actually your CYA is on the high side, so depending on what kind of powdered "shock" you added, you could be making your problems worse.
You now need to follow the SLAM Process to eradicate it.

Bleach now. Worry about pH later.

If Pool Math said to add 7 bottles, then yes. But in an hour or so, test again and calculate how much to add to get back to SLAM level for your CYA level. Do that regularly, as often as possible. SLAM is not a 1 time bleach/chlorine addition. It is a process. The above videos and links should clarify any questions about it.

So I staggered my bleach additions during the evening. The pool is much clearer already today. I must have pushed the chlorine levels a little too much. I tested this morning and the FC was 17. I added the prescribed amount of bleach and I tested at noon and the FC was 31. I'll keep an eye on it as I imagine it will fall during the day in the sun. Should I be putting on the solar cover at all during this process? I didn't know if the high chlorine levels would damage it. I think we are headed in the right direction already. Just gonna take some patience. Thanks to everyone for thei comments and help.

Well you do sort of want to expose the solar cover to the chlorine to kill anything that might be on the cover. Although at the same time you want the sun exposure to the water to help burn off any CC.

A conundrum. The water is even more clear now. I have swept it twice today. There were small piles of what looks like sand at the bottom. I got all of those swept up and the water is starting to sparkle again. I will check my chlorine levels again at 4:30 and see what I lost during the day in the sun. If levels are good this evening perhaps I will cover it during the night?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
8:00am - FC 23.5

Call me crazy, but I'm going to say we are good. I'm going out of town today, so I'm going to go ahead and let the number start to fall. I'll check it when I get home tonight. I swept twice yesterday and there was no new dead algae on the bottom of the pool today. Whew! I'm glad I caught this before it got really ugly.

10ppm FC or less for pH testing.

You can also aerate to raise pH. Bet if you just turn your eyeball up so that it breaks the water, that your pH will be higher than your last test by the time you get back down to 10ppm FC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.