Suction-side valve replacement and now air leak

dw886

Gold Supporter
Sep 19, 2016
ND
Alright TFP folks - I need some assistance. I decided that I should re-plumb the valves that the PB used when installing our pool, and put in Jandy (Pentair-branded) Neverlube valves so I could do a little bit of automation. Really the intention is to choke down the main drain a little when the pool is in use (uncovered) so the skimmers function better. That's the background.

Here's the changes that I did:
1.) I unhooked the suction side of the pump (which hadn't been unhooked since 2016). Turning the union off also backed out the male portion of the union that was connected to the pump inlet. There was gummy stuff in the threads that I assume is pipe dope.
2.) I cut out the 3 white valves in the picture below, replacing them with neverlubes
3.) I rebuilt the cross where everything comes together between the pump and the valves, and let everything setup for about 10 hours @ 75 degrees. Everything was primed / glued with fresh pvc cement.
4.) I applied pipe dope to the portion of the union that goes into the pump inlet and lubed the o-ring with 90% pure silicon lube on the side that contacts the pump - this o-ring didn't look the best - had some cracking taking place to i liberally applied the lube, and hand-tightened this snugly into the pump inlet.
5.) I applied 90% pure silicon lube to the o-ring that goes between the two union halves, also lubed the o-ring between the union halves on the discharge side, and hand-tightened (snugly) both union halves

Fired everything up, and the pump primed while running at only 1850 RPM - good to go, right? Not so fast...the filter basket would never fully fill, and it looks like there's a suction side leak now.

If I take the pump up to a higher speed, say 2500, the air in the basket mostly goes away. Then when the pump slows down, the basket starts to empty enough where I can see the water running from the inlet into the basket.

1590012044391.png

Troubleshooting:
So upfront, I don't know which way the Jandy valves seal better when testing. Should the "Off" label on the handle point towards or away from the flow of water? That being said, I did a few things to try to narrow this down:
1.) I fill the pump basket by running the higher speed, and then turn off all but one of the Jandy valves - I did this to all 3, and no matter which valve was open, the water level would go down if the pump was at a lower speed.
2.) I ran the pump at high speed to fill the basket, shut off the pump and closed all 3 valves. The water in the basket still went down. I believe this tells me that the problem is between the valve and the pump inlet. Not sure if I should have the "Off" sides of the valves on the pump or the skimmer / drain side of the piping when doing this test.
3.) I tried to use a soap solution and see if soap was drawn into any of the fittings, and no go. It's far to windy for this to be useful right now.
4.) I pulled the pump lid, just because I had lube handy, and lubed the pump lid o-ring.

Questions:
1.) What's the most likely cause? Should I be looking at the union (o-rings and the threaded portion), the glued fittings, or the jandy valves themselves? Is there some methodology that I should be following to narrow this down?
2.) Which direction does the jandy valve seal the best? When I'm attempting to choke off the main drain (my ultimate goal from the first paragraph) should the "Off" label on the valve be facing the suction (pool) side of the plumbing, or should it be facing the pump?

I don't think the direction of the Jandy valves matter, but I could be wrong. Have you replaced that O-ring that didn't look good on the pump inlet? My money would be on that. You should start by replacing all o rings on the pump in/out and associated unions. Over time the O rings will compress and aren't really reusable once disturbed. You don't need to go crazy with lube either, they don't really make the seal, they just keep the rubber in the o rings flexible and prevent dry rot.

Sounds like you knew what you were doing as far as the PVC glue, so I would focus on the unions and pump inlet O ring. Try running the pump up real good until its primed and lower the speed to the pump starts losing prime while running water over each suspect leak point. If the pump stops losing prime or loses prime slower, there is your culprit.

I don't think the direction of the Jandy valves matter, but I could be wrong. Have you replaced that O-ring that didn't look good on the pump inlet? My money would be on that. You should start by replacing all o rings on the pump in/out and associated unions. Over time the O rings will compress and aren't really reusable once disturbed. You don't need to go crazy with lube either, they don't really make the seal, they just keep the rubber in the o rings flexible and prevent dry rot.

Sounds like you knew what you were doing as far as the PVC glue, so I would focus on the unions and pump inlet O ring. Try running the pump up real good until its primed and lower the speed to the pump starts losing prime while running water over each suspect leak point. If the pump stops losing prime or loses prime slower, there is your culprit.
Thanks for the reply - I kind of figured that's where I'd have to start. Are the o-rings a standard size where I can order a replacement online, or am I stuck going to a hardware store and rummaging through their o-rings to try to find one that matches up?

Honestly I’m not sure on the o rings.. a quick look at a blow apart on InyoPools didn’t show o rings at the inlet and outlet. Someone else will have to chime in on that. My old inteliflo doesn’t have o rings.

From what I can see, they're Praher 906 series Hi-Heat unions in case that helps someone to identify the o-rings that I need. Plumbing is all 2". It looks like the complete union is Praher part number 200-996, but I can't find anything that tells me the replacement o-rings. Here's to hoping someone on here has experience with these and knows. :)

One more question on this - how tight should the threaded portion that goes into the pump be?

Should I use a channel lock pliers (I've seen a few videos showing this), or should this just be hand tight (and then further tightened when you hand-tighten the union nut which basically goes the same direction? I'm suspecting the o-ring on the threaded portion that touches the pump intake face - that's what's leading to my question...

I ordered o-rings to test to see if that helps. One other thing that I'll note is that when the water starts dropping, I get lots of air trapped in the filter. If I crack the relief valve and let out the air, the pump basket will fill to the top. Not sure if that tells of a different problem outside of a suction side leak or not...?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.