Suction side three way valve: 3 of 8 screws stripped (unable to tighted)

sanspeur

Nov 16, 2014
Seffner, FL
I have a suction side 3 way valve where I just replaced the the gaskets and valve door because I was having an air problem. When in pool mode I have no air in the pump view window. When I switch to spa mode I am not able to fill up the the filter and I loose suction, eventually causing the pump to restart until it finally shuts down due to lack of water. After I put the new parts in, I now cannot tighten 3 of the 8 screws of the valve lid. Am I going to have to replace the valve body?

From Valves - Further Reading

Fixing Diverter Valve Stripped Screw Holes​

• Take the top off the valve
  • Take a screw and coat it with Vaseline
  • Fill the screw hole with epoxy
  • Screw the screw in the hole
  • Wait until the epoxy is almost set and back out the screw
  • Wait until the epoxy full cures and put the top back on.
You do have to make sure not to let the epoxy set above the top of the screw hole.

Or

Fill both holes completely with putty and let dry, then drill a pilot hole and then create new threads with the screw.

Tips on Preventing Stripped Screws on Diverter Valves​

1. When installing the screws, turn the screw counterclockwise until it drops into the original threads and then go clockwise to tighten. Crossthreading will ruin the threads quickly.
  2. When installing an actuator, use the same manufacturer as the valve. The screw threads are different for different manufacturers and the screws will not go into the same threads. The original plastic threads will be damaged unless the threads match exactly.

Last edited:
Pic of the suction side. The three red circles are the screws that I cannot tighten. The valve as pictured is in pool mode.
You can try a repair, but with the body cracked as yours is you will likely have to replace the valve. Instead of epoxy you might want to try PlastAid. It will chemically bond with the plastic of the valve body and not just "stick" like a glue. Much stronger repair.

Reactions: sanspeur
I was able to repair it in so far as I can tighten (to then point where the magic lube is forced out), but not torque the screws. I used magic lube all around and then tested the spa. Once it goes from pool only to Spa only, still not getting basket full and flow seems to be inconsistent but not seeing any indication of leakage at the seal. I also tried putting some epoxy at the seams of the elbow connector to the spa supply pipe and valve inlet to try and close any pin holes but that did not fix it. What are my next steps to troubleshoot, or do I need to call someone out?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.