Suction side pool cleaner

MGA

Aug 16, 2020
St Augustine Fl
I just joined the forum and I just had a San Juan fiberglass pool put in (around Feb 2020) its a San Juan model has about 3000 gallons give or take
It's only 3 1/2 ft deep and 14 ft by 8ft
I live in St Augustine Fl
I am not wits ends yet but I am getting there!
I can't get my US pool supply suction side pool cleaner to work I pretty much done everything the instruction say (followed the pictures!)
It works but it keeps getting stuck in the corner where it meets the stairs theres return jet I adjusted (and adjusted)
All I can do is clean the filter again and see if that's the problem
The flow seems good on the suction line to the skimmer and it doesn't have any leaks
I have a 3/4 Pentair pump so it should not be a problem it supposed to run on a 1/3 hp pump it says
I would like to know if I missed something
Any suggestions you might have would be great!

Last edited:
My vac used to get stuck on my drains. Problem solved when I got rid of the drains! Mine came with a little gizmo that measured the amount of suction, and indicated a range of acceptable amount. I was able to adjust my VS pump to optimize that amount. Did your vac come with anything like that? I believe that for those that don't have a variable speed pump, there are gizmos to adjust flow otherwise, but we'd have to check on that. Point was: vac's do get stuck based on your pool's design, and about the only thing I can suggest to try is to vary the amount of suction, however that needs to happen, which might be some sort of add-on component. Can you call the manufacturer and ask if they sell such a thing?

Oh, sometimes the length of the hose can play a part in a vac's performance. It can't be too long or too short. Mine has sections I can add or remove. If you shortened the hose so that it couldn't reach the problem corner, could it still vacuum enough of the rest of your pool?

Some vac's have adjustment controls on the vacuum head itself, does yours? Just brainstormin'...

Dirk thanks for the tips
Yes it has the flow pressure gizmo I think I will clean the cartridge on my Pentair pump then I can rule out a dirty filter!
The is 3/4 hp and is not variable speed
It came with flow controller but I decided to eliminate that and use the diverter valve on my system to control suction I can control it by moving the diverter valve between main and skimmer
so far that has worked controlling the suction
Their control valve in way down in the skimmer and to honest its a pain to use and just another place to leak
I noticed no difference in using their control valve or my diverter
My diverter is easier to use
I guess at this point its basically trial and error when does work it really picks up the debris in the pool

Hmmm, sounds like you got flow handled. Are the tires old? Even if they aren't, swapping tires might get you somewhere. I think I remember some of these brands/models can be fitted with different types of tires (with different tread designs), that affect their performance. I recall my pool guy changed mine, and it had bigger nubs on 'em. Might be something there...

Or some sort of weighted obstacle in that bad corner that won't let the vac get into the stuck position? That'd be a pain, but maybe not worse than your vac not doing anything that day. I'm picturing a plastic-covered gym weight, on a rope that you could use to lower and remove it. I think some of those weights are filled with non-metallic material. Cement maybe? Probably get 'em on Craigslist for next to nothing.

Yah, I gotta million of 'em, not necessarily all gems! 🤪

I ended up returning it I couldn't get to stop getting stuck in the corner
Tried everything I swear!
Moved weights, shortened hose, moved and took off diffuser etc etc etc!
I am now searching for new automatic vac as far as I know from the reviews they all work the same
Maybe I should get a robotic cleaner but the cost is so much more!

If I may recommend something get the poolvergnuegen / Hayward Aquanaut (Hayward bought them) i have had mine in the pool for 5 years straight 9 months a year, I did have to replace one of the gears as it got stuck under my ladder and broke... other than that it has been flawless and will do a deep end.. I have heard the 4 tire one is a little better in the deep end :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.