Suction Side Leak, I suspect from this union

Re: Suction Side Leak, I suspect from this union **** SOLVED

Doesn't make sense, but hey, if the bubbles are gone.. go swimmin' :)

Yep, doesn't make sense because I missed a step.

Went out just now to check to make sure it was still gone.

Realized I did not open the skimmer valve back up.

Within about 15seconds bubbles are back.

Turned off pump.

I guess the good news is, I know it is skimmer side.

It might be at the valve stem where the handle attaches. The handle pulls off and you can look there for the leak.

Since the pump has a union and the valves have unions, you can take it all apart and reseal everything.

The valve has a ball that can be pulled out and the valve stem can be removed and checked. Just push down on the stem when the ball is out. Lube the oring on the stem.

It might be at the valve stem where the handle attaches. The handle pulls off and you can look there for the leak.

Since the pump has a union and the valves have unions, you can take it all apart and reseal everything.

Thank you JamesW

Correct me if I am wrong... Since the last bit of clarity clean up is in the deep end and my numbers are great

FC 7
CC 0
pH 7.4
TA 90
CH 100
CYA 30

Could I just ramp up the rpm's run the main drain (shut the skimmer) and let that work all of that through the filter?
Memorial Day weekend and I am >.< close to clear, and I can continue to trouble shoot this skimmer in between work and kids playing outside?

This mornings Picture
5_24_2018.jpg

Pull off the valve handle and put some putty around the stem area to see if that helps. Any kind of putty will work to seal if the leak is there. Plumber's putty or even silly putty should work temporarily.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, here is what I tried and it did not resolve the issue.

First of all, I had to get my knee saver lol
Knee saver.jpg

First attempt at sealing the valve (didn't fix)
Putty Valve Stem.JPG

Thought, let me try that again, who knows maybe I missed an area (didn't fix)
Putty Valve Stem #2.JPG

Then I thought, I don't want to let these guys down, lets try the whole union (didn't fix)
Putty Union.jpg

Only way to stop the air leak is to 100% shut the skimmer valve. Even cracking it open just a bit (1/5 turn) results in an increase of bubbles in the window.

OK, looking like a leak in the skimmer line.

The couplings on the lines don't look like they were glued very well, especially the ones furthest from the valve.

I appreciate everyone's eyes and time on this with me.

As I get time, I will work my way further under the deck with the putty and see if I can isolate it before it goes under ground and concrete. From there, it will turn into a different animal obviously.

Thank you kindly everyone!

You can still use the plastic wrap to trouble shoot.

Did you leave the plastic wrap on the suspect joint when you opened the skimmer valve?

You can still use the plastic wrap to trouble shoot.

Did you leave the plastic wrap on the suspect joint when you opened the skimmer valve?

No.. but I will be using that plastic wrap for sure in my trouble shooting. I plan to do as much as I can in terms of trouble shooting this and will take pics and report back my findings.

I know I have no business with this, however, the tool geek in me wants it
https://www.leaktools.com/the-professional-48-piece-kit-for-1-to-2-lines.html

No.. but I will be using that plastic wrap for sure in my trouble shooting. I plan to do as much as I can in terms of trouble shooting this and will take pics and report back my findings.

I know I have no business with this, however, the tool geek in me wants it
https://www.leaktools.com/the-professional-48-piece-kit-for-1-to-2-lines.html

I have an idea?

Use food coloring in your union testing water bucket (a different one for each union) and pour the solution at each union over the pipes and see what color ends up in the basket? (your chlorine will bleach the dye quickly, but might give you a hint?)

That will do it.

Yes, I am hoping that is my "only" problem.

I looked back through previous pictures of that same union that I posted earlier and I did not see the crack in those pictures nor did I notice it when I was putting the putty on it nor was it dripping.

So that has me kind of stumped but it's plumbing, all of it has me stumped lol

Thanks for everyone's eyes on this and I will report back when this is replaced with an update and hopefully a praise report that my suction woes are cured.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.