Suction side leak / air getting in system

Jun 15, 2018
phoenix AZ
Hi all
I am pretty sure my pool recently developed a suction side leak or potentially skimmer issues/air getting in to skimmer

VSP running 2100 RPM (9 PSI with clean filter) - the pump lids starts off with a few bubbles, and within a 3-4 hours those bubbles have increased in size
no actual bubbles coming from the returns, but a very faint sound, if underwater, of air.

With RPM on 1800, significantly more bubbles and what sounds like air in the top of the filter, almost like a crackling sound.

What is also interesting is that is doesn't seem to be constant, there was a few days last week where i was certain no air was entering the system. I also increased the water level above the skimmer and everything was fine(but could have just been a coincidence). Water level currently at or above halfway of the skimmer, maybe 60% above.

I have a 3 way jandy valve and can post pics/videos of whatever.

I can post pictures; have someone coming out 6/14 but $325 just for the testing alone is pretty steep and i would like to figure this out if possible. I have used them in the past for underground suction side leak.

I tried the hose trick and had the same issues. I have not changed the drained plugs yet.

Please help!

Last edited:
try taking the O ring out of the lid and clean it with dawn dish soap.. then lube it really good and install it back then tighten the lid back.. the air should stop :)

What is also interesting is that is doesn't seem to be constant, there was a few days last week where i was certain no air was entering the system. I also increased the water level above the skimmer and everything was fine(but could have just been a coincidence). Water level currently at or above halfway of the skimmer, maybe 60% above.
Have you checked your skimmers weir door to make sure it’s working properly? If it doesn’t the skimmer can suck in air.

Weir door in place and functional. I have messed around with the door and air still in system. Ugh. The skimmer does kind of create a vortex but I can’t get rid of it even if I lower the RPM and mess with the jandy valve

maybe i should purchase a new one?

if there is a vortex in the skimmer that is where your air is coming from.. fill your pool more to get rid of the vortex... do you have only 1 skimmer or do you have a main drain or 2 skimmers?

most of my air I get in the pump is from my suction side hose connections.. they let air in... but you can move the valve to the suction cleaner side like 60% or 70% to stop the vortex in the skimmer...

ok i will try that too...2 years ago i had an underground suction side leak ( damaged PVC pipe from a pine tree) that was replaced
If I turn off all pressure to the skimmer, there are quite a bit of bubbles in the pump lid.
So possibility I need new hose connections? What if I disconnect the hose in order to diagnosis it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You is a double edge sword.. too full and the skimmer does not work and not enough and it sucks air... I bought new hoses for the suction side cleaner and only used the ones needed to stop the air...

if you move them around in the water you will hear the air coming into the hose... at least I did with mine... They will have little slits in the hoses...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.