Suction Line Leak?

alam2p

May 4, 2022
Vancouver BC
Looking for members here to check my logic.

Had a water leak that I think I’ve narrowed down to the suction line. When skimmers are plugged, the pool holds water just fine. When the skimmers are unplugged, water level goes down and skimmer eventually drains dry. Skimmer valve at the equipment (below water level) is closed, so the leak is somewhere between equipment and skimmers. Main drain is plugged.

Can I rule out return line leak and structural leak then and focus on finding where the leak is in the suction line? Problem is everything is under concrete… it’ll be expensive

A,

Assuming that the water in the pool is just below the skimmer, and the water drains out of the skimmer basket area, with the skimmer valve at the equipment pad shut off, then that sounds like a skimmer line leak to me.

If this were my pool, I'd cap off the skimmer pipe, take the top off of the Jandy valve at the pad, put in a test bladder and pressurize the line between the skimmer and the Jandy valve. If the line won't hold air pressure, you will know for sure the line is bad. Probably have to buy a test bladder, but that would be a lot less than ripping up the concrete for no reason.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: alam2p
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.