Suction Cleaner and Skimmer a Weir Flap

AM18

Nov 30, 2019
Sydney, NSW
Hi all

New to pool ownership here - 2 days in with a new suction cleaner and am asking myself what really is the point....

Small 6x3m pool.

Variable speed pump.

So far I’ve had to crank the speed of the pump up from 1800 to 2000/2200 to get enough flow through the cleaner. That’s fine.

My skimmer box has a flap door on it which I’ve learned is the skimmer weir door. It keeps debris from flowing back into the pool when the pump turns off.

What I’m finding is with the suction cleaner hose permanently holding the door open, debris from the skimmer floats back into the pool and it looks terrible.

I have a poolrite/skimtrol style vac plate so only small debris from the skimmer actually goes through to the baskets. The larger stuff just sits on the vac plate and then floats back into the pool.

Seriously wondering if I should just return the cleaner and vacuum manually.

Oh and I just broke the skimmer plate by gently turning the plastic control valve a little bit too tightly.... it’s only 2 weeks old..!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh bummer! Not sure about purchasing new equipment parts down under....

The vac isn't intended to be left on the skimmer at all times usually. Those types are manual in the sense that you put it in the pool to clean and then remove it. As you say, if the weir door remains opened it just allows debris to return.

How about a robot instead? Just needs a little power outlet and you toss it in the pool- it can remain. Better cleaning for sure and doesn't use the pump.

Maddie :flower:

am,

Unless you have a dedicated vacuum line into the side wall of your pool, you are not supposed to leave the vacuum connected, except when you want to vacuum.

Just for reference... The weir door is what makes your skimmer work.. It does prevent stuff from floating back into your pool, but its main job is to meter the water coming into your skimmer so that it appears that the water level in the skimmer is lower than that in the pool.. This causes the surface water to "fall" into the skimmer taking the debris with it.. If you take the weir door out, the surface water will never move because the skimmer will take water from the bottom of the skimmer mouth.

I too recommend a robot.. Costs more of course, but they work independently from your pool pump as they are powered by low voltage DC and not water from your pump. Using water power to clean your pool is a little like using an old Black Rotary-dial party line phone, instead of a cell phone... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi all

I ordered a new vac plate online. Same style as mine but without the speed control valve. I figured I’m always going to want that at max when vacuuming and the cleaners come with their own valve you have to use anyway. I found when full closed that the valve would often vibrate and make an annoying sound.

In the interim I’ve blocked off the valve hole on my current skimmer plate and have actually found this to now be working much better than before. No noise and there is enough suction going to the cleaner to operate it even at 1800 rpm which is what it was set to operate at without a cleaner.

Based on this it’s actually more cost effective and convenient running the suction cleaner over the robot as the pump is running for 2 x 4hr a day anyway and I’ve been told that I can leave it connected to the skimmer so I don’t need to take it in and out.

If the pool was bigger or had more debris than mainly dirt and a few small leaves I’d definitely get a robot.

I know that this effectively disables the skimmer but stuff should sink to the bottom and then get vacuumed up.

I will still give the pool a good manual vac every now and then. From what I’ve been told robots won’t go up stairs or benches requiring this anyway.

I’ll keep an eye on it over the next couple of days and then decide if I return it or not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.