Such a weir name for a kind of door

BruceInCola

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
Columbia, SC
So I've read a few threads about weir doors here, and more than a few people have said their weir door is missing.
1. HOW?!? It's not like it could get sucked down into the skimmer. Maybe weir door theft is a thing? Or perhaps someone needed an emergency frisbee alternative and plucked it out?
2. Are all skimmers supposed to have weir doors? Mine does not as far as I can tell.

Just can't imagine one to go 'missing' considering how it's attached. I'm thinking I have a skimmer that was not designed to have a weir door maybe? If so, that sucks, and I have noticed that after I turn off the pump, stuff that is gathered in the skimmer "cave" floats back out. Drives my OCD crazy.

They can break, etc. I suspect your skimmer needs one. See if there are holes at the lower side of the walls of the skimmer throat . That would be where the weir door is installed.

The exception would be if you have a floating weir skimmer basket. They are somewhat rare, but I have one. It does not require a weir door. If your skimmer basket is made of two parts, and one part moves up and down, you have a floating weir.

Bruce,

What is worse, is that the main purpose of a weir door is not to keep stuff from floating back into your pool. While that is a great reason to have a weir door, the main reason is so that your skimmer... well, skims.. Without a weir door the skimmer sucks water from the bottom of the skimmer basket and there is very little surface action. With weir door, the water in the skimmer basket appears to be lower than the water in the pool.. The result is that the surface water flows "downhill" into the skimmer basket, bringing with it the stuff floating on the surface of your pool.

They sell universal weir doors that are held in place with spring loaded pins.. I have had these on a couple of rent house pools for about 6 or 7 years and they work just fine.. I usually have to adjust them once a year or so.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: BruceInCola
What is worse, is that the main purpose of a weir door is not to keep stuff from floating back into your pool. While that is a great reason to have a weir door, the main reason is so that your skimmer... well, skims.. Without a weir door the skimmer sucks water from the bottom of the skimmer basket and there is very little surface action. With weir door, the water in the skimmer basket appears to be lower than the water in the pool.. The result is that the surface water flows "downhill" into the skimmer basket, bringing with it the stuff floating on the surface of your pool.
Oh my. That explains sooooo much with my pool and skimming in general. Welp, I guess weir never too old to learn (pool owner (but not the original) for 7 years!)? Weir ordered.

Thanks to all.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.