Enumjon

Apr 30, 2020
Tijeras, NM
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all, a nitpicky electrical question for someone smarter than I am. My current electrical setup has power coming off my house main panel to a subpanel that powers all the pool equipment. That subpanel is 20+ years old, and has fuses. Is there any benefit to switching it over to a modern circuit breaker panel?

I am not having any issues with the panel currently. However, I do hope to upgrade my pump soon to something more this century, which means that surge protection will become more of an issue. Thanks-

However, I do hope to upgrade my pump soon to something more this century, which means that surge protection will become more of an issue. Thanks-
I would suggest an automation system that includes a subpanel.

The pump should be variable speed.

The pump should receive power from a gfci breaker.

Add a surge protector for the pump.

I would suggest the Intellicenter and Intelliflo pump.

I do know that some people - such as my father - like the fuse box option. He is an engineer of the belt and suspenders type. He likes that with the fuse panel you can pull the fuses, and then you KNOW that circuit will not be accidentally turned on. He had fuses put on the panel that went to his new AC unit. I asked him about the surge protection capability vs. circuit breakers, and he did not know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.