Submerged spa - pros & cons?

DB2

Silver Supporter
Jul 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Now that the home improvement market seems to be cooling off a bit, we are planning a complete "remodel" next year of our backyard. Our existing 20+ year old freeform pool and hardscaping is in rough shape cosmetically, and the pool was poorly placed originally in the backyard (installed by previous owners).

To maximize the usability of the backyard, we've decided to tear out the existing pool and build a new rectangular pool in a different part of the yard. For the spa, I've been looking at making "submerged", so that pool has a cleaner look. Any thoughts pro/con on having a submerged/sunken spa? By "submerged" I'm referring to a spa design like the one in this photo:

35077479_1049554831867159_5442154508165578752_n.jpg

I had a hard time with "my pool is in rough shape" and that photo. Then I kept reading!

Do you use your current spa? Many members here mention they don't use their inground as much as they expected.

DB2,

I can't think of any real pros or cons of having a raised spa or a sunken one like in your pic.

A gunite spa is a gunite spa.

A guess one pro is that a sunken spa would work well with an auto-cover.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I had a hard time with "my pool is in rough shape" and that photo. Then I kept reading!

Do you use your current spa? Many members here mention they don't use their inground as much as they expected.

Ha, yes our current pool has the 1990s resort look...except all the flagstone is cracking and falling off...

We don't use the spa that much now but...the "boss" of our household is going to stop working soon, and she has grand visions of soaking in the hot tub every day. So be it. I (DIY) replaced all the equipment when we bought the house 2 years ago, so at least there is no added equipment cost.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
has grand visions of soaking in the hot tub every day.
Yeah but if you have the spa submersed like that the whole pool will need to be heated as the water from the pool and spa will be combined.

Here is what I say. Take her to sit in a "real" spa and let her see how the seats feel and play with all of the jets hit the different parts of the body. These are all things a plaster spa cannot do. If you do put a spa in the pool the walls of the spa need to be raised so the spa water can be heated alone.

I don't think "submerged" is the word we're looking for. Probably "level" is a better description. My integrated spa is level with the pool. The spa dam just has to be high enough to keep pool water out when in spa mode, which my "level" dam does. And the auto-cover covers the spa nicely as well.

That said, @kimkats is right that a gunite spa is cruddy compared to a real standalone hot tub. My spa gets used mostly at parties, where people sometimes want a little, ahem, intimate spot to get together in. People do like it, and I'm glad I have it, but it ain't no "real" hot tub.

Reactions: HermanTX
Our spa is "flush" or zero-elevation, and we like the clean look of it. The issue we have is when the pool water level is just a touch too high, and then cold water can flow into the spa when we're trying to heat it. In hindsight, I wish the spillway was an inch higher.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Is this a kid pool or an adult pool ? I see the spa wall as a slippery balance beam, or not enough barrier for the kid wave pool that inevitably happens.

Reactions: .ben

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
During construction it’s described as a + 0” spa and have built a few of them and most common remarks are about when people exit the spa it has a tendency to refill with cold pool water.
I would assume that at that +0" as folks splash around, and turbulence in spa, it is also causing the spa to continously equalize back with pools water while they are in the spa. Or, all the adults in the spa and a heard of kids making waves in the pool. I guess I've always seen these a very neat looking, but practical more from the quite side of pool life.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.