IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Opened the pool this weekend with pretty good numbers and passed the OCLT. Something new this year from last is that I have pretty constant air bubbles coming from the return jets. I have investigated everything I know to do and everything checks out (at least to my amateur eyes). I verified the pump lid and o-ring are not cracked/seated in place, the water level is halfway up the skimmer trim piece, and the plumbing o-ring right before the pump is seated and in good shape. I did clean out the DE filter, but don't think this had any impact since the bubbles were there before and after. What else do I need to look for or take another look at in a different way? Thanks for the advice!

Look at the pump drain plug orings and be sure to use pool lube on them.

Also try varying the rpm on the pump to see if it changes.

Be sure it is not hydrogen bubbles from the SWCG.

Reactions: bgoz98
Look at the pump drain plug orings and be sure to use pool lube on them.

Also try varying the rpm on the pump to see if it changes.

Be sure it is not hydrogen bubbles from the SWCG.
Will do on the first two. I don't have the SWCG on yet since water temps have been in the 60's so far. Does that eliminate the hydrogen concern? How would I check for that if not?

What is your valve setup on the suction side of the pump?
Now that I look at the valves, something looks off. I am really not educated on this part of the system. The pic of the two valves leading to the pump is from today. The other pic with all 5 valves is from last year (before close). Is this part of my issue and what should my valve open/closed setup be? I know I have to close one of them to redirect water to the slide, but I can never remember which one it is (I just try it until it works). I believe that is why the last valve is off in the second picture.

Attachments

• IMG_6795.jpeg
    IMG_6795.jpeg
    744.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6796.jpeg
    IMG_6796.jpeg
    371.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Often times a suction side valve leak can be masked because both valves are open. In your first pic only one side is open. It could be your main drain or your skimmer. Currently the right valve is fully open and the other is closed. If you are seeing bubbles in the current state, reverse the valves. Fully close the right one after fully opening the left one. If your air bubbles stop, you know there’s likely a leak in the right side valve…inspect it in detail for leaks. You can leave it open and shut the system down, usually back pressure in the lines will expose a drip that’s not normally visible under operation.

Try closing one valve or the other at a time and look for air in the pump basket. If it appears when one side is open and not the other, you know which side has a leak.

Reactions: bgoz98