Stumped by this Hayward Pump

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
The only way to properly test a capacitor is to use a meter that can test for capacitance.

When you have a three terminal capacitor, you use the "C" and "Herm" terminals and you do not use the "Fan" terminal.

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
It looks like the meter can do capacitance.

Check the silver run capacitor for capacitance between the "C" and "Herm" terminals.

Which terminals are you using?

Badpump

Feb 19, 2021
Orlando
I just confirmed that I had the top capacitor on the C and HERM lead. Same operation as before.

I don’t think my multimeter measures capacitance - I have a new meter coming Tuesday so I can check them out.

Thanks again for your help!

Badpump

Feb 19, 2021
Orlando
Thanks for your help. With the cost of just the diagnostics for the motor I’m beginning to think I should just order a new motor and be done with it. I am still going to wait for my multimeter to arrive and test the capacitors just to see if somehow the new ones I got were bad.

I never really used the 2 speed operation so I’m wondering if I can just replace it with a single speed motor. Would this one work as a direct replacement (I would leave the A wire capped off)

Thanks so much.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.