Stump the pool pro’s! Polaris3900 still not moving.

SunLover18

Bronze Supporter
Jul 11, 2018
Fort Worth Tx
I first joined TFP what seems like years ago but was actually only mid-July I believe! But I’m still in the middle of the chain reaction. Every single thing I do has led me to yet another issue. So.. Polaris isn’t doing much of anything. When I lift him up but leave him in water, the wheels don’t move now. It was working at the beginning of my problem. Just FYI - This has all beeen done in the past 3 weeks or so, in order oldest to newest:

1. Replaced the backup valve on Polaris.
2. Disassembled DE filter and checked everything there. Cartridges and oring were good. Big crack in manifold. Replaced.
3. Replaced Oring on pipe Manifold sits on.
4. Replaced the O-rings gaskets and seals in the pool pump.
5. Disassembled DE filter, wrapped plumbers tape around top of the cartridges where there was a tiny gap. (DE is coming back in my pool & this handy little trick solved that problem!!!)
6. Replaced inline filter assemble on Polaris3900.
5. Replaced Oring and shaft seal in Polaris PB4-60.
6. Replaced the hose the connects the pool to the pump.

The leaks have stopped thankfully!! But the sweep is like in slo-mo. I haven’t checked out much on the cleaner other than I can see the chain and it appears to be on the gears.

Next move??

The Polaris runs off the booster pump, so the filter PSI is irrelevant as long as it's not zero. Is the booster pump running normally?

Can you feel a lot of water coming out of the pressure relief valve where the Polaris connects to the wall mount? If all the water is coming out there instead of reaching the Polaris, you probably need a new relief valve. They're not expensive.

Remove the quick-disconnect and turn on your booster pump, how is the pressure stream of water, weak or powerful?

It's possible the engine jet is clogged with debris, a clean inline filter that is not failed or torn often means this is rare but debris get it regardless. To do this, would require you open up the cleaner and check the jet that powers the turbine with a paperclip or small pin to see if it's clogged. It's easy to do.

Other issues are a failing engine turbine or bearing is seized. Or with the 3900, issues with the ladder chain on the drive system.

I would start with the pressure test, then look at the engine jet, you have to remove the engine assembly from the cleaner to see it and then move through the drive system from there. If you are not comfortable with DYI, take it to a local Polaris dealer and have them check it out for you.

You can see all the parts here, the engine jet it connected to the same manifold as the intake jets, #22 then move to #21 if the engine components spin freely without binding, move on to #12 which is the ladder chain, lastly check #17 which is the ladder chain tensioner.

2018 Zodiac Catalog Web No Price Version

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.