Stuck Universal Vacuum Hose Cone Adapter

cp0192

Jul 29, 2018
Tustin, CA
Hello all, new to TFP. I am using a suction pool cleaner through my skimmer. The vacuum hose is smaller than the skimmer intake pipe so my pool cleaner used a either plastic or rubber universal hose adapter cone so the hose would fit. When I went to take the hose out, I noticed the hose adapter cone was stuck in the intake pipe. It seems pretty lodged in there and I can't take it out by hand. The plastic connector pipe came off as I was trying to get the cone out. Any ideas on how I could get this cone out. The intake pipe is threaded and the cone seems pretty lodged in there. There's been no drop in suction power. Thanks for any ideas.

Reactions: Aria
:wave: Welcome to TFP!

Have you tried unscrewing it if it is stuck in the thread?

Do you have a leaf canister on your vacuum? If not, using a vacuum plate over your skimmer basket would be a good idea to avoid clogs.

jblizzle, i have tried unscrewing but it is pretty lodged in there. i do have a leaf canister attached. I tried some needle nosed pliers and as well locking pliers but it won't budge. The suction doesn't power doesn't seem to be affected. Thanks

Can you post a picture of the problem? Is this an inground or above ground pool? If it looks like one of these Zodiac - Valve Cuff, Aboveground - W70264 and is soft, you should be able to turn off the pump and get your fingers under the edge and break the suction between it an the skimmer. It won't hurt anything to leave it in but it will deteriorate over time with exposure to sun and chlorine.

It won't hurt anything to leave it in if you can't get it out. It may come out easily when the water gets cooler. If it does come out, a little silicone lube on the outside ridges will make it easier to remove.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
HI Zea3, I am perfectly happy with a removal process that ends up destroying the adaptor cone. I am looking for some helpful tool/procedure for the removal since I cannot get it out with my hands alone.
I used a drywall "keyhole' saw and cut from the inside of the cone outward toward the skimmer threads. It easily cut the cone and I could feel when I was through the cone. I used pliers to pull the 3 pieces out and ...voila.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.