Stuck return plug

May 17, 2017
New york
I have not been able to remove a stuck return plug. I opened pool last year for first time and went all year with the plug in. I'm pretty sure it's a return since there are 2 on one side that I got out and none showing on the other side except this broken one. It is the kind that has the 2 plastic raised lines I think hayward threaded plug it's called? Here's link with picture
Restarting

Anyway I tried removing it last year and broke off both the pieces. Can't turn it at all. All short of lowering the water and drilling it out any thoughts? And could I be wrong about this being a return line and be something not important at all? Please help. Thanks

I have not been able to remove a stuck return plug. I opened pool last year for first time and went all year with the plug in. I'm pretty sure it's a return since there are 2 on one side that I got out and none showing on the other side except this broken one. It is the kind that has the 2 plastic raised lines I think hayward threaded plug it's called? Here's link with picture
Restarting

Anyway I tried removing it last year and broke off both the pieces. Can't turn it at all. All short of lowering the water and drilling it out any thoughts? And could I be wrong about this being a return line and be something not important at all? Please help. Thanks

Mine have also gotten stuck before. Have you tried wrapping a towel or wash cloth around it and opening it that way? Or using a large adjustable wrench to help you get a better grip along with the towel? I've had to do both as well but eventually they loosened.

As to what it is, I can't answer that but I have returns and also just an open line that was run in case I ever wanted to install a vacuum later. When I close I use the threaded plugs, even in the vac line even though I really would not have to.

Flimflam:

Before you attempt again, can you determine if this is an extra cleaner line? Can you describe your pool and upload some pictures of the equipment pad. You should release air in the system before attempting again. If you have a MPV, placing between 2 setting will relieve the system of the pressure. You could also try vice grips, but you may not get a good grip. Adjustable wrench and rags will probably slip.

You may have unions that will allow air out. Or you can blow air through the system with your valves at the pad to determine where everything goes.

If this does not work, I would drain and slowly drill through the center and use a little saw to cut out. Be extremely careful as well. I personally have some only to temporarily close one or more returns, but I do not tighten at all as I only need to stop most of the flow. In the future, use black expandable plugs, as they work out real well (you loosen the nut) and wiggle a little bit and usually pops out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.