Stubborn Cloud

FC 12
CC <0.5
TA 90
CYA ~30 (haven't measured since adding CYA last weekend for a target of 40)

The pool was green when opened. I started a SLAM for a few days without vacuuming or brushing because I could not see the bottom of the pool. Eventually after a few days, the green disappeared, but the pool was very cloudy. I continued to SLAM without vacuuming because I couldn't see the bottom but the water was "clean" (Additionally I didn't have a vacuum attachment). After getting the attachment I decided to vacuum even though I couldn't see the bottom of the pool and what happened next was surprising to me (although it should not have been when I think about it). All this green came pouring out of the return. Voila! I still had algae, therefore, the pool could not clear.

Since then I have been SLAMing my pool for 2 weeks - vacuuming and brushing everyday. My OCLT this morning was 0. I STILL cannot see the bottom of my pool. It is cloudy enough that I cannot make out the details on the 3rd step, although I can see the outline of the fourth (bottom) step. Every day before I vacuum I notice just a little bit of "dust" on the top step.

The sand in the filter is only 2 years old. I do run the filter 24/7 for the majority of the season. I did a deep cleaning of the filter before opening the pool this year. I have already done two back washes. After my last BW (last weekend) my filter pressure was 15 psi. It is now at 16. I would normally wait until it gets to 18 to do another BW.

The water fountain has been under the surface of the water to circulate the water. I just removed it today to let be "stock" to see if the circulation is an issue (not sure how it could be)

It it possible that the cloudiness is fine particulate that the filter just cannot contain? Is DE my solution?

The thing that strikes me is the green plume out the return. The filter should catch that stuff. When you deep cleaned, did you check the sand level? You can lose some when you backwash and it does settle some. There should be about 6" of open space on top.

So checking the sand level would be step one for me. Step two would be adding a little DE, but only do that when you'll be around to monitor the pressure because it can load up really fast.

I think there is more than 6" of space there. I didn't actively note it when I cleaned it. I will check it tonight and if required top it up as needed. Will post on results.

I did think it was VERY strange that the green plume came gushing out of the return. I winced. I felt that something was not right at that point, but kept up with the process with hopes that all would end well with the SLAM process.

So I opened the filter. There was about 12 inches of head space between the sand and the top of the filter opening, so about 10 inches to the bottom of the mulitport I would say. I added 50 pounds of sand and that did not make a significant difference in 24 hours so I added DE (about 2 hours ago).

I added almost a cup of DE, just enough to get the psi to increase by a value of 1.

I just went out now to check on the pool to top up the chlorine and I noticed a significant reduced flow from the return. I looked at my guage and it was now 5 psi higher than when I added the DE. This was only a couple hours ago.

The result is that I have already a noticeable difference in the clarity of the water (I can finally see the bottom) but the increase pressure has caused a leak at one of my joints. I imagine I can just tighten it up.

After all of this, I find it odd that my filter would clog up that quickly. Thoughts?

So I opened the filter. There was about 12 inches of head space between the sand and the top of the filter opening, so about 10 inches to the bottom of the mulitport I would say. I added 50 pounds of sand and that did not make a significant difference in 24 hours so I added DE (about 2 hours ago).

I added almost a cup of DE, just enough to get the psi to increase by a value of 1.

I just went out now to check on the pool to top up the chlorine and I noticed a significant reduced flow from the return. I looked at my guage and it was now 5 psi higher than when I added the DE. This was only a couple hours ago.

The result is that I have already a noticeable difference in the clarity of the water (I can finally see the bottom) but the increase pressure has caused a leak at one of my joints. I imagine I can just tighten it up.

After all of this, I find it odd that my filter would clog up that quickly. Thoughts?
That is normal and expected. That's why I wrote. "...but only do that when you'll be around to monitor the pressure because it can load up really fast."

Backwash it out and add a little more DE. And fix the leak.

Do I treat the rapid increase in PSI the same way I would any other increase? I used to BW when I got a 6-8 increase, but this year I switched to a 25% increase. I have put in more DE and the pressure is up 25% again. Seems like I am going to be replacing water in the pool quite a bit for the next 24 hours!

Do I treat the rapid increase in PSI the same way I would any other increase? I used to BW when I got a 6-8 increase, but this year I switched to a 25% increase. I have put in more DE and the pressure is up 25% again. Seems like I am going to be replacing water in the pool quite a bit for the next 24 hours!
Yep. You probably can see the reduced flow when it gets up 25%.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.