Stubborn Algae problem/Conversion has Begun

The FC will drop less and less as the process nears completion. The exception to that is during the day when the UV from the sun may take away all the FC or close to it.;.....not to worry.

The two evening doses plus a pre-dawn dose (or as early as you can comfortably manage) puts the majority of your FC in the pool when there is no sunlight so you get the most effective use.

Don't do it yet but are you prepared to ?.....

1. Do an overnight FC loss test Make sure you know what's involved. Read Pool School or post back for advice.

2. Change your sand. This is not a really easy job but you should be prepared for it with some new sand and the time to do it.

3. Put CYA in your water....enough to get to 40ppm? Use Jason's Pool Calculator or post back for assistance.

Very nice work, Aaron. The end is in sight. :-D :-D

duraleigh said:
Don't do it yet but are you prepared to ?.....

1. Do an overnight FC loss test Make sure you know what's involved. Read Pool School or post back for advice.

2. Change your sand. This is not a really easy job but you should be prepared for it with some new sand and the time to do it.

3. Put CYA in your water....enough to get to 40ppm? Use Jason's Pool Calculator or post back for assistance.

1. Been studying it and monitoring other people's progress and I feel confident I can do it when the time comes.

2. Have 200 lbs sand on hand to replace baquagoo sand when the time comes, Time will be a tougher issue as I start back to a pretty heavy schedule next week. I was hoping it would be ready by Sunday, no such luck. However, I will make the time for it somehow.

3. Pool store said I had a CYA of 8 already, not sure how that happened as I have never put any in. But I have 4 lbs here ready to put in when the time comes.

Thanks Dave.

7:30 PM FC 4.5 added 2 jugs of bleach

10:00 PM FC 7.0 added 1.3 jugs of bleach

Vacuumed dead some piles of stuff of the floor today, might have been dead algae. Had to add water earlier this afternoon when I vacuumed, it was getting kind of low from back-washing the filter.

Day 6, Aug 29

7:00 AM FC 7.0 added 1.3 jugs of bleach

Took these pics at 8:15 AM. The last pic is yesterday afternoon, looks like a big difference but could be deceiving because of the sun. gets lighter green every day, but not there yet.

IMGA0215.jpg

IMGA0214.jpg

IMGA0212.jpg

7:30 PM FC 4.0 added 1.7 jugs bleach

10:30 PM FC 4.5 added 1.6 jugs bleach

checked it at 12:15 and FC was already down to 7. I will check and add more in the morning. Green is nearly gone now. I will take a pic and post around 8:00 AM. Good Night all. :sleep:

Day 7, Aug 30

7:00 AM FC 4.5 Added 1.6 jugs of bleach. I cant believe it is still dropping that much overnight.

Here are two pics taken at Noon today. Just a hint of green is left. Any guesses on how many more nights and mornings I will have to shock till my FC's stay up?

IMGA0219.jpg

IMGA0220.jpg

What do I need to do differently?
See post above. What I am doing right now is this:

Once in the morning, between 5:30 AM to 7:00 AM, I test FC and adjust bleach level.

Twice in the evening, between 7:00 PM to 8:30 PM and again between 10:00 PM to 11:00 PM, I test FC and adjust bleach level.

I vacuum out piles of stuff (maybe dead algae? not sure), when I see them, and keep filter back washed for good flow. I add small amounts of water as necessary to keep pool at proper level.

This is Day 7, I have done 49 doses of bleach using up 72.2 of the larger (182 oz) jugs of bleach - I had to go buy more this morning. I am not complaining, I am happy that the water is so clear and there is only a hint of green left. :-D However, this seems to be more than average amount time and bleach, for a conversion and my FC's still are not holding overnight, not even to the 5.0 level. :scratch: I haven't even tested CC yet because I am worried I am going to run out of R-0871 and DPD powder.

1. Do I need to do something differently?
2. Can I get R-0871 and DPD powder from a local store in an emergency or does it have to come from TF?
3. Any ideas why My pool turned that translucent green yet with the water so clear? Did I have some problem with my pool that I was unaware of and that is the reason it is taking longer and using more bleach? What normally will cause that?

Thanks again for all of the support.

Aaron

1. You are doing everything right. Be patient, it will happen.
2. As long as it is identical, you can buy it locally if your local store sells it.
3. Mine turned the same color when I converted. As far as I can tell, it all looks normal. It will clear, just keep adding the bleach. there are lots of variables in place during a conversion. Every conversion is different as far as time goes. Some take a week, others take two, some may take more.

The last bit of my conversion took a while too. Seems like getting the FC to hold overnight takes forever.Just keep doing what you are doing and it will happen. Patience is key from this point on. Hang in there!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Having a conversion take just over a week is very very common. Everything is moving along normally. Be patient and stick with it. The clear transparent green only happens occasionally. It isn't anything you need to worry about.

It is very rare that a local pool store will stock R-0871, though a few stores do carry it.

Day 8, Aug 31
I have a question. is there a right or wrong place to take your water sample? I know it is elbow deep, but what about location in the pool? I have been consistently taking mine at the ladder which is about 1/4 way around the pool, to the left of the filter and return (which is pointed down and to the right). Is this a bad place to take it? is there a better place?

5:30 AM FC 4.5 added 1.6 jugs of bleach

9:45 PM FC 5.0 added 1.6 jugs of bleach
10:45 PM FC 5.0 added 1.6 jugs of bleach

I was gone all day during daylight hours today. I will take pics tomorrow evening. I think green is mostly gone and pool is clear now, but FC's still wont go up.

Day 9, Sept 1.
5:15 AM this morning FC was 5.0, added 1.6 jugs of bleach.

Here are pics of the pool at 5:15 today. Green is gone. Picture is a little deceiving, it looks like it might still be a little green but when you look at the pool with the naked eye you don't see any. Just have to get the FC to come up and stay up and the CC to come down and I will be done. FC's still are dropping to 5 within an hour after adding bleach. Does anyone have a comment on the previous post?

IMGA0214.jpg

IMGA0222.jpg

I don't know if location makes any diffference for sampling. I try to get a sample in a place where circulation is not that great, just so I know the worst case for FC in the pool. I'd guess that your choice is good.

The water is certainly looking good, now you will really need POP, for these final days seem to be the hardest; when it looks so perfect but the numbers say it is not quite done. I guess there is goo in the nooks and crannys that has to be flushed out.

Day 9 cont., Sept 1
Got home from the days work and:

7:15 PM FC = 3.5 added 1.8 jugs of bleach
8:00 PM FC = 5.0 added 1.6 jugs of bleach plus .4 for good luck (good grief, why wont my FC hold?)
9:00 PM FC= 7.5 added 1.4 jugs, plus one more for good luck
10:00 PM FC = 8.5 added 1 jug, plus one more for good luck
11:00 PM FC = 9.5 added 1 jug, plus one more for good luck
11:40 PM FC = 12.5 left it alone to see if it would hold overnight

Day 10, Sept 2
6:30 AM FC = 3.5 :grrrr: added 2 jugs of bleach.

This is 10 days since conversion was started and my FC still wont hold even a little. Any Ideas? My pool is crystal clear now, green is gone. I have used $259.01 worth of bleach for a total of 94.2 jugs (or 134 gallons) in 62 separate feedings. Even when adding an extra gallon per dose for good luck (which I tried last night) my FC's still do not come up much. Am I still in the "normal conversion" range? Or am I edging toward the "not so normal conversion" range? Should I do anything different? Is it possible my sand is doing this, or something else that I am not thinking about? I can see that this will be better once it is done, but it is sure costing a lot more, and taking more time, than I thought it would, based on the other experiences I read, but I am trying to remain positive and not discouraged, I just hope it ends soon. If there are any other suggestions and ideas from anyone for me at this point, I would greatly appreciate them.

Aaron,

I probably don't know any more than you, but I did change my hoses. Have you checked yours? mine were pretty bad after 3 years with baq. Also have you checked your cc lately that determines how much contaminates you still have in your water. Good luck ...Deb

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.