Stubborn Algae problem/Conversion has Begun

One step at a time. If it is city water, there is very little chance of any contaminants.

If you have used copper based algaecides over a period of time and copper has accumulated, that might be an issue. I would be very surprised to see any appreciable iron from city water.

As FPM suggested, have a pool store test for iron and copper first and post those results.....then go from there.

Meanwhile keep your FC up just like you've been doing.

duraleigh said:
If you have used copper based algaecides over a period of time and copper has accumulated, that might be an issue. I would be very surprised to see any appreciable iron from city water.

As FPM suggested, have a pool store test for iron and copper first and post those results.....then go from there.

Meanwhile keep your FC up just like you've been doing.

The last time I went to my pool store for algae issue they advised me to dump a bottle of Sea Clear Algae remover in the water and it is copper sulfate based, that was about 3 weeks ago. So I probably do have some Copper in the water, not sure how much. I am off to take a sample to the pool store.

I will continue to test every hour and add bleach accordingly. - one bottle of R-0871 is almost gone.

You should ignore the color till 48 hours after you add CYA. If it is still around at that point, then worry about it. The chlorine levels used during a conversion are extreme and can cause temporary reactions that will go away when the conversion is complete.

If I am reading correctly, you lost 5 or 6 ppm of FC overnight, which means you are heading into the final phase of the conversion. You are still losing FC overnight, and the CC level is probably very high, but chlorine is no longer disappearing as quickly as you can add it. At this point it is most efficient to switch to only adding chlorine in the evenings, or at the very least, only when there isn't direct sunlight on the pool. Sunlight can consume a lot of chlorine during the day.

From what I have seen, things are going very well. You still have a couple of days left, but the amount of effort required goes down at this point, and it is nice to have clear water (even if it is green).

Okay...... Thanks for all of the input. Here is the low down. I went to the pool store with a sample that I took at 9:00 AM Here are their readings

FC 3.5
pH 8.13
TA 202
CH 76
Metals 0
CYA 8 (not sure how that got in there, I didn't put any in).

I came home and tested the same sample and I got FC 5 (not sure why mine was different from his). It was 10:00 AM by this time so I took another sample and tested and had an FC 8 (not sure how it went up). Added 1.1 jugs of bleach. Then I came in and read the post that Jason had posted while I was gone. It is overcast here and sprinkling here right now (no direct sun). So.... should I continue every hour since there is no sun or just do evenings? If I just do evenings then will my CC get lower (sample still turns Orange when I add the R-0003 drops so I don't even test for CC because I assume it is very high and I need to save my reagent)?

Today I have to leave at 4:30 to go to the University. I will not return till 10:00 or 11:00. Will that be too late to do the overnight FC Test?

I am concerned about the amount of R-0871 I have left, I used up the last of my first bottle on the last test, only one bottle left. Can I get it local somewhere if I run out?

And, Yes it is good to see clear water (even if it is green). Thanks again for the all of the input.... at this point I am a little nervous. :wink:

Well that is odd. That all makes me wonder about there testing equipment. Did you see what kind of kit they used?

Have you tested your own PH lately (when the FC was below 10)?

CYA is in trichlor and dichlor (commonly sold as "shock") is it possible you added a bag of granular chlorine?

I wouldn't worry too much, this is all going to be okay. :wink:

frustratedpoolmom said:
Well that is odd. That all makes me wonder about there testing equipment. Did you see what kind of kit they used?
No, they were using some kind of computer thing in the back with prepackaged glass tubes

frustratedpoolmom said:
Have you tested your own PH lately (when the FC was below 10)?
No, I will next time. But I have read that pH should be left alone till you are done as long as it was right when you started. Correct?

frustratedpoolmom said:
CYA is in trichlor and dichlor (commonly sold as "shock") is it possible you added a bag of granular chlorine?
No.... I definitely would have known that. I have only used bleach since the baquacil, and never put chlorine in when I was on baquacil.

frustratedpoolmom said:
I wouldn't worry too much, this is all going to be okay. :wink:
I hope so

Pool store testing is notoriously inaccurate. It's entirely possible the CYA is zero.

I honestly don't know - as far as the PH goes....I'm wondering if you are getting the funny color with the PH high... Or If it should be lowered mid-conversion. I'm not sure. Jason?

It will be fine. IT always is. :mrgreen:

Forget the pH test. Probably not accurate anyway.

Forget the CC's test. Do it only after your water is clear.

Forget the overnight FC loss test until your water is clear.

Keep your FC up where it is but not adding every hour....Rather once or twice in the evening and once in the very early morning.

Stay the course. Relax. :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, Thanks.

I was outside brushing the walls and vacuuming the bottom when duraleigh posted. I had already taken a sample (sun had sprang forth about 10 min earlier) and my FC was 10 so I added.8 jugs of bleach. I will not add any more till just before I leave for the university (about 4:30) and then after I come home at about 10:00 and will keep it up for a few hours tonight.

Pool is still a very transparent color green.

Thanks for all the help.

Fixing to head to the University.

4:00 PM
FC 6.5 added 1.3 jugs bleach

Will be back between 10:00 amd 11:00 to test and adjust some more
Here are two pics at 4:00. Not much difference, but I'm keeping the faith :cool:

IMGA0208.jpg

IMGA0209.jpg

aaron:
from what i have read on here almost all conversions are different. i converted after 10 years of
baquacil and i had a severe case of water mold/pink algae. i had very high levels of cc for about 6 to 8 weeks. i also got very frustrated. my pool also turned green, yet crystal clear just like yours, but i listened to
the advice here (especially jasons) , stayed the course and now my pool is perfect. the green color took
about 2 weeks to completly go away. it just got a little better each day til it was gone. have patience, i know its
hard, but you won't be sorry. now i add a little bleach each day, a little acid now and then and thats it.

diverman57 said:
i had very high levels of cc for about 6 to 8 weeks. i also got very frustrated. my pool also turned green, yet crystal clear just like yours, but i listened to
the advice here (especially jasons) , stayed the course and now my pool is perfect. the green color took about 2 weeks to completly go away.

Thanks for the encouragement. You kept shocking every night, not in the day, for two weeks? I guess you were not able to swim in it the whole time?

Got home from the University at 10:45 and tested the water. Water looks less green with the flashlight, but that could be deceiving. I'll have to wait till morning to know for sure.

10:45 PM FC 6 added 1.4 jugs of bleach

11:45 PM FC 7.5 added 1.2 jugs of bleach

12:45 AM FC 7.5 added 1.2 jugs of bleach

I'm tired, going to bed. Was hoping it would be holding closer to 15 at night now. Have done 42 doses for a total of 60.6 large 182 0z jugs of bleach. I hope I am getting close.

Aug 28, Day 5
7:00 AM FC 10.0 added .8 jugs of bleach

8:00 AM FC 6.0 added 1.4 jugs of bleach

I am leaving for the University and will not be back at home till mid afternoon

Pools is still green but it is a much lighter color green now than yesterday, kind of pretty (and ugly at the same time).

1st pic was taken this morning, 2nd pic was yesterday afternoon

IMGA0210.jpg

IMGA0208.jpg

Okay, I feel much better about my pool now. Thanks for all of the support. Here are two pics taken at 2:45 PM today. Still green, but much lighter green and pretty clear looking water. Now I need advice on how to proceed. I have not added bleach since 8:00 this morning. I checked the FC and it was 6.0 (did not add bleach though, should I have?) so at least it is staying above 5 during the day but so far it has not been staying up above 10 at night. I have been feeding it every hour in the evening as well as in the early morning. Should I continue to feed the pool every hour in the evening and early morning or is that just wasting bleach at this stage? Is it better to cut back now? If I need to feed every hour morning and night then I certainly am willing to do that. However, if it will do just as good a job feeding it less then let me know. I want to do whatever is best at this point in time.

Aaron
IMGA0212.jpg

IMGA0213.jpg

duraleigh said:
Forget the CC's test. Do it only after your water is clear.

Forget the overnight FC loss test until your water is clear.

Keep your FC up where it is but not adding every hour....Rather once or twice in the evening and once in the very early morning.

Well, I just read this earlier post from Dave, I had forgotten that he said this, So I guess I will proceed with this advise. Thanks Dave.

I guess as long as the FC does not drop below 7 or 8 at night then I continue on this advise? Seems like it drops to 7 or 8 every night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.