Stubborn Algae problem/Conversion has Begun

Day 19 cont.

8:00 PM FC=.5 CC=1 added 2.3 jugs bleach
10:10 PM FC=12.5 CC=1.5 added .4 jugs of bleach
10:40 PM FC=15 CC=1.5

Day 20, Sept 12

6:45AM FC=15 CC=.5 - 1 FC Drop of 0

The reason I said my CC was .5-1 was that I put in 1 drop and was watching the solution as it slowly turned clear and another drop might have dropped in, I was'nt sure. I didn't think so, but can not be absolutely positive that it was not 2 drops instead of one. So based on that I said .5 to 1 but I think it was .5.

If it matters - it rained part of the night and I have about 1 inch more water in it than I did last night when I took my last reading last night. It is still raining now and is forcast to rain heavy on and off all weekend and maybe into Monday and Tuesday.

Should I be checking any of my other levels (TA, CA, etc) yet?

Shock one more night and maybe CYA tomorrow?

Aaron

I think you are fine to go ahead and add the CYA today. Bring the FC up to shock level again tonight, check your levels in the morning. Keep it up to 15 until the CC is .5 for two nights.

Focus on these two things, you can run the other tests if you like - I would do those when the FC is not high though.

frustratedpoolmom said:
I think you are fine to go ahead and add the CYA today.
Okay. I have 4 lbs of "Chlorine Stabilizer" (Cyanuric Acid 100%) that I bought at the pool store. It is quite a large container. I believe the best way to put it in the pool is to pour it into a sock and hang it somehow right in front of the return? When it is gone then fill it up again until the four lbs is used up? Can do! should I adjust clorine level after adding it? Or just wait till I shock it again?

I have enough bleach to shock at least two more nights before I have to get more.

The pool store said that I had CYA of 8. I am not sure how that got in there and it probably is wrong so I am assuming that I have 0. The pool calculator says that if I add this 4 lbs then It should bring my CYA level close to 40. However, if the pool store is right then it will bring me closer to 50. Either way, it should be Okay, right?

Okay, Here I go.

Aaron

amoses said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
I think you are fine to go ahead and add the CYA today.
Okay. I have 4 lbs of "Chlorine Stabilizer" (Cyanuric Acid 100%) that I bought at the pool store. It is quite a large container. I believe the best way to put it in the pool is to pour it into a sock and hang it somehow right in front of the return?
Yep.

When it is gone then fill it up again until the four lbs is used up?
Yep Can do!

should I adjust clorine level after adding it? Or just wait till I shock it again?
I'd wait 'til you shock again.

I have enough bleach to shock at least two more nights before I have to get more.

The pool store said that I had CYA of 8. I am not sure how that got in there and it probably is wrong so I am assuming that I have 0. The pool calculator says that if I add this 4 lbs then It should bring my CYA level close to 40. However, if the pool store is right then it will bring me closer to 50. Either way, it should be Okay, right?
It will be fine either way, but will probably end up close to 40.

Okay, Here I go.
when will you have another pic for us? :mrgreen:

Aaron

Day 20 Cont.

7:30 PM FC=.5 CC=1.0 added 2.3 jugs bleach
9:30 PM FC=13.5 CC=1.0 added .3 jugs bleach
10:45 PM FC=13.5 CC=.5

Day 21 Sept 13

6:45 AM FC=12.5 CC=1.0 Note: Poured down rain half the night, pool is almost overflowing, draining some water out now. I think that the drop of only 1 is good considering the rain, I dont know what the rain means for the CC though. I will shock again tonight.

7:30 PM FC=9.0 CC=.5 added 1 jug bleach
10;00 PM FC=14 CC=.5

DAY 22 SEPT 14

5:30 AM FC=13.5 CC=1.0 dagnabbit! water almost turned clear after 1 drop but not quite. needed 2nd drop to completely remove pink tinge. Still is raining here but not quite as hard as the last two days.

IT's probably the rain interfering...

You can try the test with the 25 ml sample to get more precise - each drop is counted as .2 instead of .5.

Then you can get a better idea of what your CC really is - it's likely somewhere between .5 and 1. Hang in there!

I'd save your test reagent, wait for the rain to stop before you repeat the tests. Just keep the chlorine level up. :wink:

9:45 PM FC=8.0 CC=1.0 added 1 jug bleach
10:30 PM FC = 12.5 CC=1.0

Day 24 Sept 16

5:30 AM FC=12.5 CC=1.0 Drop of 0 FC. CC is stuck, not sure it is going to come down any more. I will keep shocking at night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since you have now added your CYA, I suggest that you try raising your shock level tonight to about 20.

Maybe that will hit that pesky CC in the head :hammer:

Also, if you are using a cover, leave it off during the day to allow sunlight to help burn up CC.

Butterfly said:
I suggest that you try raising your shock level tonight to about 20.
This is not bad for the liner? I have been curious about how high a level you can shock with out it being bad for the liner. I did notice that shock level for Mustard Algae is at 24 at the current CYA level of 40 and was curious about that. I thought that the reason we only shocked to 15 was due to liner issues. I guess this is not the reason? How high can we shock and what are the advantages and disadvantages of high shock levels?

I will boost level tonight, hopefully that will take care of it. Should I go more than 20?

Butterfly said:
Also, if you are using a cover, leave it off during the day to allow sunlight to help burn up CC.
I do not have a cover on it. I plan to leave it open through the winter this year and see what happens.

Day 24 cont

8:00 PM FC=7.5 CC=.5 added 2.5 jugs bleach
10:00 PM FC=20.5 CC=1

Day 25, Sept 17

5:30 AM FC=19.5 CC=.5 :party:

I guess Butterfly was right, raising the FC to 20 must be eating up the CC. So... I shock one more night and if the CC still is at .5 then I let the FC drop to 3-5 and hold it there by checking each day and adding bleach appropriately daily, right? Then I begin checking and posting the other balances, right?

day 25 cont

11:00 PM FC=8.5 CC= .5 (barely over it actually) added 2.2 jugs bleach
12:00 PM FC=20.5 CC=1.0

Day 26 Sept 18

5:30 AM FC=19.5 CC=.5

I trust that still counts, even though it was only 5.5 hours from my last test yesterday till the test this morning.

So I am done shocking. Tonight I will see what my levels are. Probably will not drop down to 3-5 till tomorrow, so will not post any other balance test results till tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone who has been such great help through this very long process. I am sure I will reap great rewards from here on!. :) :) :party: :whoot:

Keep it up, it's the best thing I ever did for my pool. It's so easy now, just alittle chlorine here and there every other day or two, and a clean, sparkly pool with no slimy walls and NO algae whatsoever. All I have to do is clean out the leaves once in a while. FORGET THE BAQ.

Even all the other levels have been perfect and I haven't done anything except add some chlorine, like I said, "here and there"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.