Struggling with SLAM and..something?

JonF7

Bronze Supporter
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Hey everyone, apologies in advance for the essay but want to give as many details as possible.

I am based in NJ with a DE filter, vinyl liner pool and opened on the later side this year (Friday, May 28th), and upon opening I had some pretty gross cotton candy stuff (White Water Mold?) all in my skimmers and the corners of the deep end. Picture below (Skimmer)of the grossness.

First Question: How do I prevent this from happening in the future? Opening early? Or was something wrong on closure? <- While I open my pool, I have a company close to blow out the lines.

After seeing that, I decided to SLAM. Here are the general chemistry results that I had pre-slam, with a Taylor FAS-DPD test kit:
FC: 3
CC: 2? This is scribbled I can't read it, but now its around ~0.5
pH: 7.6
TA: 85
CH: 200
CYA: ~30 - 35 (I struggle reading the dot in a CYA test)

I am raising my FC levels to around ~14-15 as I am unsure of my CYA, and I am doing this with liquid chlorine (12.5%). Pump has been running non-stop for the first 2 days, with filter pressure raising due to collecting the dead stuff. I have done a full backwash once on Monday (May 31st), as I thought we were getting close to the end....

Being freaked out at how everything looked on open, I decided to pop off the light fixture and saw a bunch of stuff growing (unfortunately I didn't get a picture). I brushed all that stuff into the deep end and ever since that, I feel like my pool has been struggling.

I was testing every 2 hours and the FC level only went under 15 once (13), and I topped it back off. Not getting much FC loss overnight, but I am seeing the below pictures appear in the morning (Liner Edge brown Crud, and black spots in the corners), and my CC this morning was ~0.5. Question, is there an easy way to test for CC at 0.2 / 25mL sample while testing FC in a 0.5 / 10mL sample? 0.2 will go through my 2oz dropper quickly, and my next won't arrive until Saturday.

So, after all that, a few questions:
1). With these pictures, there is definitely something wrong, but why would I have little-to-no overnight FC loss?
2). I noticed my filter pressure is staying stable, despite running 24/7 and vacuuming / brushing twice a day. Should I backwash anyways?
3). Will my brush / vacuum need to be sanitized in any special way before re-introducing back to the pool?
4). Losing hope that this will ever end, am I fighting something specific that I need to spike FC levels higher? Or just keep following the SLAM like I am doing?

Thanks and happy to provide more details if needed!

Attachments

• Liner Edge.jpg
    Liner Edge.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Skimmer.jpg
    Skimmer.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Upper View.jpg
    Upper View.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Zoomed View.jpg
    Zoomed View.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 12
I hope you didn't eat it! Also didn't think you could add chlorine to a closed pool, but never thought about it. Definitely something I'll keep in mind next year.

As for this black stuff, do you think I'm okay with current FC levels or do we need to go higher?

FC Readings for Today so far (6/2), just in-case this goes into the next few days I'm sure I'll bump with questions:
CYA: 30 - 35
6am: FC 15.5, CC 0.5 (one drop at 10mL during CC test clears it up)
Added half gallon of 12.5% liquid shock as my pool is constantly in the sun and I knew I would not be able to address until later
1pm: FC 15, CC 0.5

I hope you didn't eat it! Also didn't think you could add chlorine to a closed pool, but never thought about it. Definitely something I'll keep in mind next year.
Ha! Of course I didn't. You can add chlorine to a closed pool, you just have to stir it up. I use a long mixing paddle thingy that goes into my electric drill that I normally use for aerating wort before pitching yeast when I brew.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.