Struggling with Chlorine riddle during initial set-up

zcurley

May 8, 2020
Belle Chasse, LA
Sorry to say we are flailing about during our maiden voyage to get our 15' x 48" easy set chemistry right. Our reading of the stabilizer test has been plagued by, what seems to be fairly common based on other posts, struggles with confidence about when the black dot disappears. After two readings of the 20 mark (pool math says we should be at 40-60) we added a total of 1 lb 14 oz. of stabilizer as advised. On the third attempt, when we chose to embrace the "look away and glance back" approach, we kind of felt good about it disappearing at the 30 marker. Upon staring at the tube you can make an argument that it is still super faint at that point. None the less, we chose to call that 40, as some posters advised rounding up, and moved on to chlorinating. We've had two attempts at the chlorine test over the last two days, both of which turned the pink sample back to clear after just one drop. After these tests, we've added the recommended doses of chlorine (both at night) as advised to turn our test result of 1%ppm to the recommended 3%ppm. This morning's test yet again revealed one drop to go from pink to clear and a recommendation for adding 9.6 oz of chlorine. Hence our frustration.

FYI full disclosure. In our first two test we had accidentally indicated 6% as our chlorine percentage, when in actuality our liquid chlorine is 10%. That being said, our recommended doses in those cases was 16 oz each time. Which makes it even more baffling that we appear to be under chlorinated, correct?

Thanks for any help.

Took a look at your Poolmath. Unless you have drained water, your CYA is 60. Follow the FC/CYA Levels for that.
Marty,
Thanks for responding so quickly. I really do not understand what I'm doing, despite having read the abc's. According to what I have put into the pool math app, the recommended FC is 3.0. When I do the test for FC, I get a reading of .5 which I have rounded up to 1 but that still leaves me with the app telling me to put in more chlorine. If I refer to the CYA target, I get 40 as ideal. The reading I get from looking at that little black dot varies from 20 - 30. So, in a nut shell, I am struggling. There is no algae, there has been minimal sun here, and the pool has only been filled for four days.

Thanks again.

Zana

What kind of filter do you have? Filling out your signature really helps us help you.

Do not do what the friend said again. Use the sock method for CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do not backwash unless really necessary. The CYA you dumped in the skimmer is caught in the filter. That is why you are not testing it in your water. Will take 7-10 days for it to show up.

Start using 60 ppm CYA in Poolmath for your FC levels.

What is your pH, TA, etc? Be sure to save your tests in Poolmath as we can see them and it helps us give guidance. When you enter your test day, touch the check mark in the upper right to save it.

Reactions: sheilalanessa
Trapped in the filter makes sense. Thanks. Got carried away by the chlorine riddle and haven't gotten to the ph, TA, etc. Will do in morning. Just to confirm, the new poolmath based on 60ppm cya, my current fc level of 1ppm and the target fc of 7ppm, the app now recommends adding 29 oz of chlorine. Does that make sense/seem like we are on the same page? If so, we'll load it into the pool tonight.

Also, how long should we keep 60ppm as our cya for fc math? Until the 7 to 10 days have passed re: cya stuck in the filter?

Also, also, are we all good to swim during this time? The natives (my son and friends) are getting restless...

Thanks so much for you patience with an obvious newbie!

Z

That is the right amount of chlorine.

Keep the 60 ppm CYA in Poolmath until you test for it.

Check the pH, if in 7's, let 'em swim!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.