Struggling a bit here

Rockish

May 24, 2020
Harrisburg, PA
We just put in our first pool and we we had our pool school this weekend and under their guidance added our first chemicals. We were given a pack of strip tests and basically left on our own since it was the long weekend. My brain hurts, I’ve read the articles on this site. I understand the science but I can’t test our water accurately so I have no idea what’s going on. Saturday night we shocked the pool per their directions. Sunday it looked like the chlorine was way too high to swim and then Monday there was no detectable chlorine in pool. They left us with a tub of calcium hypochlorite and chlorine tabs. I can’t really tell what is going on with the strips because they could possibly match multiple colors. So my plan is to bring a sample of our water to the pool store and then try to buy some liquid chlorine. I ordered the taylor K2006 per advice from this site but can someone tell me what I should do until it comes, amazon says Friday.

We also added a bunch of other chemicals during pool school as well but I’m not sure if I wrote them down correctly in retrospect.
1 bottle of conditioner, 15lbs of calcium for hardness, 1 bag of Ph alkalinity stuff.

I’m going to get better, go easy on me. Any help appreciated.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Did they give you liquid conditioner or granulated? Do you know how big a bottle it was? We have a Poolmath app that will help you calculate and track the chemicals once your test kit arrives. If we can figure out how much conditioner you added we can tell you how much chlorine to add.

Have you backwashed the filter since he added the CYA? If not give it at least a few more days until you do. Adding granulated CYA directly to the skimmer will deposit it in the filter, where it takes longer to dissolve. You probably have about 20 CYA at this point, so your FC (chlorine) target is 1-3 ppm. Add enough FC daily to hit 3ppm until your test kit arrives.

Ok so I added more calcium hypochlorite this morning to get the levels up to 3ppm. We sent a pool water sample to our pool place and they called to say the cya is 10, FC is 0.77 and PH is 6.8.

I gathered the water sample 20 minutes after adding chlorine and my strip test showed it at 3ppm. Is it normal to have such a discrepancy?

They suggest adding PH plus and 2 more lbs of stabilizer tonight and shocking it again. Does that sounds reasonable?

Also purchased liquid chlorine 12.5% despite the pool store trying to talk me out of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.