structural question for steps/ tanning ledge

MELMIL

Jul 21, 2020
Arlington Texas
my pool in in the rebar/steel stage of construction. The top step is supposed to be oversized, like a tanning ledge, 42 inched from the edges of the pool.
The rebar is currently set at 28 inches. When I talked to the build superintendent he told me that the step would be 42 inches with the gunite, and that was sufficient rebar to build it out. That doesn't seem right to me, but I'm obviously no expert. I attached pictures showing what the step should look like ( the top step measurement should be 42 inches) and the rebar that comes out 28 inches (with 2 steps below that each come out a little further)
I appreciate any feed back =)

Attachments

• IMG_E6362[1].JPG
    IMG_E6362[1].JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 43
  • pool steps.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 45
Looks like you're going to end up with a 28" top step! The gunite will push out ~4" into the pool from the pool wall rebar and ~4" into the pool from the top step rebar (effectively cancelling each other out). Not sure how he thinks this will be a 42" top step(?)

He is probably telling you that you will have a 42" wide step. Looking at the scale on your drawing the second and third steps would be about 2 feet if the top was 42", but at 28" they will be about 1 foot which is about right. You need to make sure they understand what you are asking for or you will probably have a 28" step that is 42" wide.

He came by yesterday and reviewed in person where the step will be and painted it out to the correct dimensions. He assured me In would come out 42 inches, and that it wouldn’t compromise the strength or structural integrity of the steps.
It a highly rated, reputable custom pool company that’s been around for years and has done pools for 2 of my friends, so I want to trust them but am a little skeptical by nature.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.