Strong smell from pucks

justeastofapple

Gold Supporter
May 5, 2019
Santa Clara Ca
I found TPF when I first became the owner of a pool. Thank you all very much. I have been using liquid chlorine ever since. The previous owner left a bucket of pucks. Over the last two years, I have never used those pucks. Since my wife and I are now vaccinated, we took a trip to see one of our nephews graduate. I placed some pucks in a floater for when we were gone. After I returned, I removed the floater and allowed the pucks to dry and then I placed the pucks, inside the floater back in the bucket (with cover) which is located inside a suncast storage bin. Now whenever I walk by the bin and especially when I open the pin not to mention when I open the bucket of pucks, I get a very strong smell which I believe to be chlorine gas. I don't see yellow air and I'm not dead yet. How could pucks which were stored for at least 2 years now be so toxic?

Nice to meet you via TFP and great to hear you're having good success with TFPC :)

Best to let pucks dry fully before putting semi-used pucks in a closed container. The smell is yucky alright. I use floaters quite a bit off and on, and usually just leave the wet pucks in the floater, hidden somewhere in the garden. No dead plants near them :)

It’s best not to return used pucks to the container. You cannot ensure all the moisture is gone as the materials they are made of are slightly hygroscopic. You should just let those old pucks fully dissolve into the pool water. The impact on CYA would be minimal.

I suggest you remove them, put them back in floater and put them in the pool.

Reactions: proavia
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.