Streaming music to passive speakers - yes another audio question

May 10, 2016
Baton Rouge, LA
So forgive me for the redundancy that this post will inevitably have, but I am looking into options for enjoying music on my patio, and have jumped around between multiple threads on here that have a wealth of information. But in able to collate that information into one spot, and determine the best bang for the buck, I wanted to post this to help anyone, including me, out. For me, I have an older receiver that I will be adding some outdoor speakers to as well as some other device to help me control it from my phone. To that end, here appear to be my options (with $'s designating the range that these will cost):

NEW RECEIVER: $$$$ Buy a receiver that supports bluetooth/airplay and control it straight from you phone.

SONOS CONNECT AMP: $$$$ Similar to the above, this would appear to replace the need for a standalone receiver. You would run your speakers directly to this device.

SONOS CONNECT: $$$ This little guy needs an amp/receiver to tie into in order to drive the music to the speakers, but it turns your dumb receiver into a SONOS product.

ECHO LINK: $$ This is a strange product from Amazon that I am not sure I fully understand. It does not have a microphone on it so you cannot talk to it. You have to get an Echo dot or other Alexa device in order to tell it what to do. However, I think you can control it from an app (I will lean on you guys to see if this is true). However, I think this is meant to work similar to a Sonos Connect.

BOSE SOUNDTOUCH: $$ This appears to be similar to the SONOS Connect, or the Echo Link, where it is Bose's attempt to turn any receiver or player into a streaming-capable product.

APPLE AIRPORT EXPRESS: $$ This product has been discontinued apparently. However, I believe that is has some decent selling points. I believe it also acts as WIFI Extender so you can place near your patio and get additional wifi coverage while also connecting it to your "dumb receiver" and giving your streaming capabilities from your phone/tablet. I am not sure if there is a capable product for the same price point for Apple that they replaced this with. I imagine that you can use Apple TV decide to run music into your receiver and to your speakers, but I am not certain on that. If that's the case, you could also gain benefits by plugging that into a tv as well so that may warrant a spot on this list.

GOOGLE CHROMECAST AUDIO: $ This product has been discontinued apparently. However, it is extremely cheap and I believe that you can use this as a poor-man's SONOS. It appears to use a 3.5 jack to plug into your receiver and you can set up your house with this. I am not sure if Google has come out or is coming out with anything to take its place, but you can still find these for sale.

Others?
I am sure that there are other options and innovative ways that people have done this. However, these just seemed to be the ones that I had come across so far. If there are a couple of people that also use another avenue, I can add them as well.

From what I can gather, SONOS appears to be the cat's pajamas. But many people are not willing to spend the SONOS price tag. To that end, I have been looking at all of my option. Please help by giving me some pro's/con's for these or whatever you use. I am sure I am missing some options.

Best bang for the buck is an AM/FM boom box if you are not picky about the music you listen to or the fidelity of the music. Cost goes up from there.

@jimim has posted a few threads about poolside audio.

Easiest is self-contained speakers with builtin amp and bt receiver. A lot depends on how portable you want it. My solution I plug the speaker in anywhere and play Spotify to it.

I have a different solution:

I use a set of passive (standard outdoor speakers) on my pergola, and I have a Roku TV on a TV mount. I then have a small Class D amplifier that has a optical audio input (and other inputs) to power the speakers. I just have the Amp velcroed to the back of my TV.

41NQ7JGRzSL._AC_.jpg

Right now I have just the Roku TV hooked to the Amp - but it works with any TV with optical audio out, coax out, or standard aux output.

I have had it setup like this for a couple of years.

In the future (maybe even today...) I will be adding one more item to the setup - I bought a Amazon Echo Input a few months ago for $10 when it was on sale. I will be hooking this into my little Class D amp to the analog audio AUX input and I will hopefully have some better voice control for music and things compared to my cheap Roku TV.

I am not sure how it will all work with the addition of the Echo Input, but I will report back.

I have a different solution:

I use a set of passive (standard outdoor speakers) on my pergola, and I have a Roku TV on a TV mount. I then have a small Class D amplifier that has a optical audio input (and other inputs) to power the speakers. I just have the Amp velcroed to the back of my TV.

41NQ7JGRzSL._AC_.jpg

Right now I have just the Roku TV hooked to the Amp - but it works with any TV with optical audio out, coax out, or standard aux output.

I have had it setup like this for a couple of years.

In the future (maybe even today...) I will be adding one more item to the setup - I bought a Amazon Echo Input a few months ago for $10 when it was on sale. I will be hooking this into my little Class D amp to the analog audio AUX input and I will hopefully have some better voice control for music and things compared to my cheap Roku TV.

I am not sure how it will all work with the addition of the Echo Input, but I will report back.

Does the Roku TV have controllability with an iphone? i.e. Can I play music from my phone or from an app on my phone through the tv/speakers? Or would it all be through the tv remote? I am also not sure of the apps available on the Roku TVs, but that certainly is an option. Target has a 32" Roku TV for $129. If I could use that, I could get a tv outdoors for less than my other options. Or for a little more ($279) you can get a 4k 55" Roku TV and do the same thing. I am just not sure about the functionality vs the other airplay-type options.

Do you have an outdoor tv or is it covered? Mine would likely be subject to some weather elements as it would not be very protected. Right now I just bring a tv outside when I want to watch while in the pool.

There are quite a few options for streaming sound. It mostly depends on what YOU need it to do that will drive the end result. If you’re simply looking to stream music in the patio/backyard, then look into either a portable BT speaker, or waterproof outdoor powered BT speakers.

For me, I’m a base junkie, I like to hear and feel my tunes. With that being said, I also don’t want to spend a fortune on equipment that I use randomly in the yard.
I use a Sony GTK-XB7, I stream from my phone, it also has an app that I can change EQ settings on the fly depending on what I’m listening to, and it’s got disco lights on it (that you can turn off) to party like it’s 1999!!!

There are quite a few options for streaming sound. It mostly depends on what YOU need it to do that will drive the end result. If you’re simply looking to stream music in the patio/backyard, then look into either a portable BT speaker, or waterproof outdoor powered BT speakers.

I am looking for a fixed option to where I don't have to worry about making sure the bluetooth speaker is charged and bringing it in and out every time I go outside and also from one end of the patio to the other when I move to a different sitting area or start grilling. I also prefer to have evenly distributed sound around the pull so that I don't blast the neighbors. I will use it a good bit for music (usually streamed from pandora/spotify/amazon music), but I will also use it for TV sound - Or I would at least prefer the option to do so.

I am looking for a fixed option to where I don't have to worry about making sure the bluetooth speaker is charged and bringing it in and out every time I go outside and also from one end of the patio to the other when I move to a different sitting area or start grilling. I also prefer to have evenly distributed sound around the pull so that I don't blast the neighbors. I will use it a good bit for music (usually streamed from pandora/spotify/amazon music), but I will also use it for TV sound - Or I would at least prefer the option to do so.

I have eight wired rock speakers around my deck and pool connected to an amp that connects to a SONOS Connect. It is $$$$ but does exactly what you describe your needs to be.

Reactions: cwescapexlt4x4
Love(d) my chromecast audio! Yes they discontinued it because the boom of their smart speakers (home, mini, hub, etc). I got one right at the announcement so it was like $15 but they might be a little more expensive now.... but it will do the job you want it to do, just plug it into the receiver and then can stream from your phone. You can't do TV sound, at least i am 90% sure, i gave it to my dad so i can't check.

My current setup is just 3 UE booms around the pool area that I can synch altogether via bluetooth, but can also individually control through the app as well. Does what it is supposed to do at least for me, and can get super loud

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks @ajw22 It does seem like that is the "best" option. I'm just also trying to include the "poor man's" Sonos as options for me and potentially anyone else that is trying to do this on a budget.

Check out an Echo Link Amp. It is a “poor man’s” Sonos. Has pretty much the same functionality. Plus you can do multi room with other Echo devices.

Another member here has tried it and likes it.

Last edited:
So I think you have a few options.

If you don’t have speakers yet then you can get powered outdoor speakers with the amp and Bluetooth built in. They aren’t too much more than just a regular outdoor speaker, but probably not the best quality. You would also need to make sure that you can plug them into power. But this is probably the quickest and easiest option. Just connect your phone to the speaker’s Bluetooth and stream whatever you want. One downside here is that Bluetooth has a short range, so you would need to keep your phone near the speakers when you are streaming.

If you want to use regular outdoor speakers and you already have an amp, then you can get a Bluetooth receiver for your amp. Just connect your phone through bluetooth to the receiver and stream whatever you want. This might be the cheapest option (since you already have the amp) and has the same issue with short range above. You’ll also need to turn on the amp whenever you want to listen to music and remember to turn it off when you’re done.

Similar to the above, there is the echo connect, and I think sonos also makes a similar product. These would would work similarly to each other and connect to your amp as well as connecting to WiFi (so you would need to make sure that WiFi is available near where you want to put your amp). This would be more expensive than just a Bluetooth receiver, but less expensive than the options below. It also would be more convenient in that it connects through WiFi, so you can still control them with an app on your phone, but you don’t need to keep your phone in Bluetooth range. You can also use an amazon echo to start and stop music on them as well, but you would still need to manually turn your amp on and off.

Finally, you could go with an Echo Connect Amp or the Sonos Amp. These are similar products and both have their own amps built in. They would work like I described above, connecting to WiFi and being able to be controlled with your phone and/or an amazon echo, and since they have an amp built in you wouldn’t need to manually turn the amp on or off. They would turn themselves on when you want to listen to music and turn themselves off when they are done. This would be the most expensive option, but also have the most features.

I have the Echo Connect Amp and I have been very happy with it.

Does the Roku TV have controllability with an iphone? i.e. Can I play music from my phone or from an app on my phone through the tv/speakers? Or would it all be through the tv remote? I am also not sure of the apps available on the Roku TVs, but that certainly is an option. Target has a 32" Roku TV for $129. If I could use that, I could get a tv outdoors for less than my other options. Or for a little more ($279) you can get a 4k 55" Roku TV and do the same thing. I am just not sure about the functionality vs the other airplay-type options.

Do you have an outdoor tv or is it covered? Mine would likely be subject to some weather elements as it would not be very protected. Right now I just bring a tv outside when I want to watch while in the pool.

Roku does offer a iphone mobile app - you can dowload it and control the TV from your phone pretty easily. I do that with my android phone.

There are a ton of music apps available for the Roku ecosystem. Pandora, Spotify, Amazon Music, and I think you can stream from your iphone to the TV.

I use a 49" Roku TV I also bought from Target on discount last year...It is nice to have the TV audio go through my speakers - or I just use the Roku to stream Pandora or any other music I may want to play.

I cover my TV with a canvas weatherproof cover and can keep it outside 6-8 months of the year...

I use 2 nice wired outdoor speakers on my patio. JBL I think. Old Apple TV has optical audio out. Converted that to RCA and into my receiver. iPhone can control all audio now from the pool. Including volume. Only issue is surfing the web...auto play videos can be a pain. I suppose I could use a dedicated iPad or iPod instead. Otherwise it’s a fantastic setup. And I am picky. Needs reliable WiFi. Now I can wander the whole house and property (about 2/3 acre) while playing music.

Reactions: lsuxtremist
I put our "outdoor" TV back up this weekend, and we added the echo input at the same time to the little stereo AMP velcroed to the back of the TV. We can now control music and other things by voice when we don't want to watch TV...it was kind of nice getting that extra step going.

As a bonus for the first time we also tried the multi-room speaker mode that the echo devices offer and it worked really well inside the house and outside at the same time...I spent $10 on the echo input so it is a pretty nice cheap addition to our setup.

I put our "outdoor" TV back up this weekend, and we added the echo input at the same time to the little stereo AMP velcroed to the back of the TV. We can now control music and other things by voice when we don't want to watch TV...it was kind of nice getting that extra step going.

As a bonus for the first time we also tried the multi-room speaker mode that the echo devices offer and it worked really well inside the house and outside at the same time...I spent $10 on the echo input so it is a pretty nice cheap addition to our setup.

Nice. Good idea

We just installed the Sonance Mag4.1 system. But it was on sale for much less than this.
View attachment 136714Overall it will work great for what we will be doing. View attachment 136713

Whoa - way out of my budget unless it was on sale for 90% off.

How do the speakers work keeping the music contained to the listening area. I have neighbors fairly close to me and I would like to try to keep the sound from spilling into the neighbor's property.

Reactions: chia9876
These are doing great. I pointed them toward the deck/back of the house and have walked all around the yard at moderate volumes (much louder than average listening) and didn't have spillover at the outer sides of the yard.
Placement is going to be a key factor in any audio system.

Mine are far enough that they will provide good sound for the pool even with splashing kids and conversation level audio at the sitting areas.

After we had our pool installed, I wanted to have music by the pool area which was high fidelity and, if I wanted, I could crank it up.

I built the cabinet you see in the below picture next to the pergola. There is an Onkyo Receiver in it. The cabinet remains outside year round, but I bring the receiver inside for the winter.20200531_160822.jpg

Below is the opposite end of the pergola. There is a pair of Polk Atrium 8 speakers mounted to the pergola. I ran speaker wire through PVC pipe back to the receiver. Behind the pergola is a detached garage, and there is a WiFi Access Point behind the window in the garage. The receiver connects to the WiFi Access Point. There are ethernet cables buried between the garage and the house where servers are located which contain over 300 gigabytes of MP3 files. I use my phone to control the receiver.

The combination of the receiver and Polk speakers provides good coverage for our entire pool area. I can crank things up to where it sounds like there is a band playing in our backyard. :cool:

And, it wasn't all that expensive. I bought the speakers through Polk's outlet on ebay. Don't remember where I bought the receiver.

20200602_204016.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.