Strategy for running VS pump

Poolecw

Apr 5, 2019
NW Ga
What is your strategy or schedule for running your VS pump? Do you run 24/7 at a lower rpm? How many turns do you shoot for in a 24 hr period? Do you run consecutively or on and off throughout the day?

Our pool go finished up a couple weeks ago and I've just been running the pump continuously at 1750 rpms. Is this overkill?

I've had this same question. I am playing around with mine right now as I just added a SWG. It really depends on your setup, outside conditions, SWG, peak electricity rate hours, etc. In my area, peak electricity rates are between 9AM-7PM, so I am trying to avoid running my pump very much during that time frame....either it is off or just enough to skim the surface since we live on a very wooded lot. My suggestion would be to make small adjustments and keep checking your chemical levels until you find a good sweet spot.

Yes, I think that's probably overkill. More to the point, it's not taking advantage of your pump's potential to save energy and wear (assuming it has a programmable controller?).

When planning a VS pump schedule, keep in mind that energy consumption isn't linear: half the speed may consume one quarter of the energy! I'd bet that you could reduce your consumption by at least 50% without sacrificing FC levels or filtering.

Also consider skimming effectiveness. Slow speeds can still circulate water quite effectively and enable your SWG (depending on the pool, equipment and environment of course), but it may render the skimmer almost useless.

If you notice floating debris is not ending up in the skimmer, you may want a cycle of higher speed to make that happen. Experiment with the duration and speed to find the least amount of time/lowest speed that accomplishes the goal. (this can change during a season, particularly if plant and tree debris can blow into the pool). Early on with my indoor pool, I assumed that the skimmer had very little work to do. However, I found that barely-visible dust can settle on the surface of my pool and it needs a relatively short cycle at 2,800 to pull it over the weir. Outdoor pools can face similar changes, maybe less with dust but more with pollen etc.

I also schedule pumping to coincide with my likely swimming schedule, and I would definitely do that (overlap) with a SWG. (it makes sense to let the SWG replenish FC after swimming)

Determine Pump Run Time

I'm in the same boat and have been messing around with my fancy new VS pump. I opted to run 24/7 just for aesthetics, I like my pool to be as clean as possible (it better be after all the work I put into it!!).

My current schedule is:
7:00 AM - 9:00 AM: 2500 rpm to skim any large debris off the surface to start the day
9:00 AM - 6:50 AM: 1500 rpm to circulate water and continuously skim/filter surface
6:50 AM - 7:00 AM: 3000 rpm to purge air from lid (will most likely remove this, just testing things for now)

MY swcg runs from 11:00 PM until 4:00 AM and the 1500 rpm pump speed is more than enough to activate the flow switch.

My old pump was a single speed 1.5 hp that I ran from 12:00 AM until 4:00 AM to save on power costs, with the new VS pump it's nice to run much longer while still using less energy.

Reactions: Rollercoastr
I just checked and at 1500 rpm the pump draws 205 watts. At my current electric rates that equals $26/mo if I run it 24/7. Worth it to me!

I use a suction cleaner and solar cover. No tree close by. Pool is clean and water is clear. My schedule is for power savings.
1 hour on 2400 rpm for suction cleaner. Rpm can be lowered to 2000 if filter is clean or up to 3000 if filter is dirty.
4 hours on 1200 rpm for circulation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.