Strange pump electrical question

Gjmueller4

Jul 5, 2023
Ohio
Sunday my pump just stopped working. Pump is Hayward 1.5 Hp. Turned on - no grinding. No buzzing. Nothing when you hit the on switch. So i took it apart and the wiring at the pump was fried to the point that the black wire had completely detached from the blade connector . Replaced the whip and all wires with brand new and cleaned it up and tried to turn it on agai. This time it buzzed loudly as it has in the past if a capacitor was fried.

While waiting on a new capacitor to show up I was messing around and I switched the power setting on the pump to the 220 setting. Flipped the switch and it started up like normal and sounded like it would when it runs properly. I only left it like that for 1-2 seconds then turned it off.

Does that make any sense that even being fed 110 if I switched it to the 220 setting that it would run?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 5
  • BCA4D327-12CC-4583-B56E-F560C90E7047.jpeg
    BCA4D327-12CC-4583-B56E-F560C90E7047.jpeg
    379.3 KB · Views: 4
Sunday my pump just stopped working. Pump is Hayward 1.5 Hp. Turned on - no grinding. No buzzing. Nothing when you hit the on switch. So i took it apart and the wiring at the pump was fried to the point that the black wire had completely detached from the blade connector . Replaced the whip and all wires with brand new and cleaned it up and tried to turn it on agai. This time it buzzed loudly as it has in the past if a capacitor was fried.

While waiting on a new capacitor to show up I was messing around and I switched the power setting on the pump to the 220 setting. Flipped the switch and it started up like normal and sounded like it would when it runs properly. I only left it like that for 1-2 seconds then turned it off.

Does that make any sense that even being fed 110 if I switched it to the 220 setting that it would run?
You need to check the voltage going to the pump. That's a replacement motor already, it may be time to get a variable-speed motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.