Strange Plaster Reaction/Change

I need help...

Relatively new pool owner. Last season we had a flash flood come through and dump silt, dirt, dust, mud in the pool... I followed some other threads and got the water crystal clear right away. All the tests were in normal range, but my plaster changed texture. instead of a smooth pleasant texture to walk on it now feels like a rough grit sandpaper. If there is any help or information available I'd appreciate it.

Jeremy

Normally plaster that changes to a rough texture is due to scale buildup. Do you monitor CSI?

Calcium Saturation Index. It is calculated by POOLMATH. It determines the propensity of your water to be more prone to scaling or to damaging your plaster.

Can you describe your pool care methods and how you managed your water chemistry?

Pool Care regime comes straight from TFP... My test kit was purchased from TFP. I test CL and PH almost daily, but TA, FC, CH and CYA weekly. I use borates in the pool and have a SWG that runs most of the summer (we have a high bathing load)… I have only had to shock the pool once since using the TFP methods described within and that was after the flash flood.

CSI is something I missed apparently, I understood that if the rest of my test results were within the desired range then I wouldn't have to worry about CSI - I have re-read about it on here since it was mentioned above and remember now that I disregarded CSI because all of the other tests were within the desired range. I did have a few weeks after adding the borates that I had to work pretty diligently to bring down the TA...

Fill water comes from our well, and it has high TA - I have to balance TA more than I thought I would because of the fill waters PH. Other than that... I even take my water to be tested at my local pool store and get compliments from the owner about the quality of my water... I brush it almost daily, and run our robot daily.

You are quite right that if you kept all the parameters in the recommended ranges CSI should be a non-issue. The one caveat is the high TA fill water. High TA and pH can drive the CSI to scaling tendency quickly.

It may not be scale. Can you get a sample of it? Is it everywhere or only patches?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I see you have a SWCG. If your water gets into the scaling tendency area, your SWCG will shed flakes of calcium carbonate. Do you see that?

Yeah, post up current test results and the CH and pH of your fill water.

For a flood to have caused the texture of your plaster to change "right away" is hard to connect. Plaster changes are normally quite gradual.....you sound like yours changed almost overnight. Did you notice a color change, too?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.