Strange clicking sound coming from Pentair minimax nt heater, affecting pool equip

Aug 7, 2017
walnut, ca
Hello all- I will try to be as descriptive as possible so I don't confuse anyone.

Yesterday (sunday)afternoon I walked out to my backyard and noticed the pool sweep/equipment were not on, strange I thought as the timer is set for about 9am. I went to the timer and saw the timer indicator in "on" position, ok but why wasn't the equipment on. I switched it off then back on and nothing. I checked the pump and saw the ALARM power out failure message on the pumps screen. As I'm standing there I hear a very light clicking sound going on inside the heater, it makes this sound for about 15 seconds then the pump makes an attempt to prime for a quick mili second then goes back to clicking this repeats over and over. The power light indicator on heater is on. I maunally turn the heater off using the button hidden underneath inside to see if this will override and allow the pump to turn on but not a chance. Could the flow valve on heater have anything to do with this issue?

There is also very faint clicking going on inside the intermatic timer housing. As of this moment I cannot figure it out, junction box is ok, I will eventually check wiring behind timer and at pump connections to ensure there is no electrical issues causing this. Anyone ever experience anything like this before.

*The evening prior to this occurring my wife and kids were in the spa with the heater fully functioning. They got out of the spa when the timer turned it off. So on the day of this occurrence I imagine it was set to turn on with the jets/suction and heat all on as they were the night prior when wife and kids were in, not sure if this would help troubleshooting.

So this evening I pulled off the pressure valve, tried compressing it and replaced. I tried powering on the equipment with no luck, 30 minutes later I try again and voila.....started up. I have no idea what is the culprit but my guess is its the minimax, i have always had problems with this heater. Will eventually replace with a starite. Thanks to all

The heater would have no affect on the pump starting up. Unless of course it were some strange electrical issue of which I can't even think of a situation that would cause that. The pump could cause the heater to not run but I've never seen where the heater caused the pump to not run.

As for your change out of the heater, I would go with a Raypak instead of the Sta Rite. Raypak is the leader in the market today as far as a trust worthy heater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.