Bronze Supporter
May 13, 2020
DFW
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’m not sure if this is a silly question, but we have severe storms with possible large hail predicted later this afternoon and this will be our first severe storm since our pool was built this summer. Is there any prep we need to do to protect the equipment or travertine?

Flooding is sometimes a concern. But if your equipment pad is positioned in such a way that the pump (motor) won't get submerged, you should be fine. Power outages can occur, but usually aren't long enough to be much trouble. Good luck!

Reactions: Green25
Well, our equipment pad is actually below the surrounding deck. Supposedly our builder is planning to raise the plumbing along with completing the other outstanding items from our build last summer, but that’s a whole other issue.

We’ve turned off the breaker to the pool equipment and tarped the equipment as best we can.

Attachments

• 8AF063A2-DBAA-42F4-AD4A-18AFF1A16FC6.jpeg
    8AF063A2-DBAA-42F4-AD4A-18AFF1A16FC6.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 9
Hey Green - You have already done way more than most. The only thing I do is move any glass away from the pool and make sure nothing can blow in. If my pool is already full, I may drain it down an inch or two since me draining it sends it to the sewer vs the overflow that sends it to the side yard.

The latest forecasts show a minimal risk of hail. While hail can certainly damage pool equipment, hail is so spotty and localized your chances of getting a damaging hail storm are slim. If you are unfortunate enough to have one of these, then you are likely looking at damage to your roof, A/C units, possibly cars and windows, etc. on top of your pool equipment. At that point you would be looking to insurance to cover the bulk of the expenses including anything with your pool.

Good luck.

Reactions: Green25
@JJ_Tex I noticed the local radar seemed to have downgraded the risk a bit, but I think I’m still traumatized by the storms from about 3 years ago. Lol. It made me realize I had no idea what to do for storm prep.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.