Stonescapes Mini Struggling with color.

honda104

Feb 27, 2022
Austin,Tx
Right now we’re struggling with the colors for plaster we looking at Stonescapes mini Tahoe blue or Aqua blue. We are confused if we should add touch of glass and puerto rico blend Large or small. How many bags ? backyard has a lot of trees and we do have a lot of shaded times during the day, also we get good sunlight in the middle of the day. We don’t want a color too light and not too dark. Like blues more than greens. we are also backed up to a lot of trees on a green Belt. . We were going to do the QuartsScapes, but decided to upgrade to the better finish Stonescapes Mini. Any recommendations would be great this is our first pool build.
see pics of pool. Also open to other colors ? we’ve been going back-and-forth looking at pictures.

1. Stonescapes Mini Pebble Tahoe Blue with puerto rico blend ?
2. Stonescapes Aqua blue with puerto rico blend ?
3. Should we add Glass ?
4. should we add puerto rico blend large or small ?

F86137B2-8A40-4F27-85CC-AB222763D487.jpeg

D1610D5D-6CCF-494F-9ACF-0D985C901B1E.jpeg
91922844-434A-465F-8069-C604660A271D.jpegAEC7A50D-3B0A-41DD-9F48-57C3BB6F67FF.jpeg

You have glass tiles, but the colors are similar to ours. We used NPT Stonescapes Aqua White Mini Pebble and added abalone and Puerto Rico blend. I can't answer how many bags were added, but my wife's words to the pool builder were "add a s*** ton of abalone and PR glass". We paid an extra $3,600 for however much a s-ton amounted to.

The first pic gives a good sense of the water color. It's a light turquoise that isn't bathwater clear, but also not so dark as to hold the Texas sun during the heat of the Summer. The tanning ledge is about 6" deep and the depth at the bottom of the stairs is 3.5' deep, sloping to about 5.5' deep on the other side of the vacuum hose.

The second pic gives a good idea of how much blue glass is in the pool.

The third and fourth pics show the reflective abalone better than the other two. Pic 3 is on the tanning ledge and 4 is the bar area, where the floor is about 3.5 feet deep.

Pool Color.jpg

Pool1.jpg

Pool2.jpg

Pool3.jpg

We live in Texas and are also trying to decide between NPT mini pebble Aqua Blue and Tahoe Blue, with Caribbean Blue a slight possibility as it seems to be in between the other two. Entire pool except for 8” baha shelf is 4 to 5 feet so not too deep so these colors are likely not too dark. We do want some color but not too dark and want to lean more blue than green. Backyard faces west so the pool will get a lot of sun. Apparently Tahoe Blue is the most popular Stonescapes color by far. would appreciate any recommendations and pics. thanks!

Duck01 - I really like your water color! Guessing that the Puerto Rico glass blend really made an impact as it looks darker than other Aqua White pool pics I have seen. Sounds like adding the glass would be worth it. Great color! Thanks.

Reactions: DUCK01
His color is very similar to mine, depending on the light. We also added Puerto Rico glass but only 1 bag. I wish we’d have done more. The Aqua Blue seemed to be the same color as the white, only darker. I liked the color of the Aqua White stones better than the Aqua Blue.

Right now we’re struggling with the colors for plaster we looking at Stonescapes mini Tahoe blue or Aqua blue. We are confused if we should add touch of glass and puerto rico blend Large or small. How many bags ? backyard has a lot of trees and we do have a lot of shaded times during the day, also we get good sunlight in the middle of the day. We don’t want a color too light and not too dark. Like blues more than greens. we are also backed up to a lot of trees on a green Belt. . We were going to do the QuartsScapes, but decided to upgrade to the better finish Stonescapes Mini. Any recommendations would be great this is our first pool build.
see pics of pool. Also open to other colors ? we’ve been going back-and-forth looking at pictures.

1. Stonescapes Mini Pebble Tahoe Blue with puerto rico blend ?
2. Stonescapes Aqua blue with puerto rico blend ?
3. Should we add Glass ?
4. should we add puerto rico blend large or small ?

View attachment 392605

View attachment 392606
View attachment 392607View attachment 392608
We are just starting our dig and I am in the exact same spot. I started out with tropical blue but it had a hint of green and I want pure blue , so now I am stuck trying to decide between the aqua blue and aqua white and with either touch of glass or PR blend. I think the Aqua Blue can at times have a slight bit of greenish hue. As I am researching, I want a lot of blue and I am thinking touch of glass as it would only be blue glass but still on fence. Did you go with gass tile ? I love your tile . Will be curious to see what you decide.

You have glass tiles, but the colors are similar to ours. We used NPT Stonescapes Aqua White Mini Pebble and added abalone and Puerto Rico blend. I can't answer how many bags were added, but my wife's words to the pool builder were "add a s*** ton of abalone and PR glass". We paid an extra $3,600 for however much a s-ton amounted to.

The first pic gives a good sense of the water color. It's a light turquoise that isn't bathwater clear, but also not so dark as to hold the Texas sun during the heat of the Summer. The tanning ledge is about 6" deep and the depth at the bottom of the stairs is 3.5' deep, sloping to about 5.5' deep on the other side of the vacuum hose.

The second pic gives a good idea of how much blue glass is in the pool.

The third and fourth pics show the reflective abalone better than the other two. Pic 3 is on the tanning ledge and 4 is the bar area, where the floor is about 3.5 feet deep.

View attachment 392667

View attachment 392668

View attachment 392669

View attachment 392670
Beautiful pool. Is your waterline tile glass?

His color is very similar to mine, depending on the light. We also added Puerto Rico glass but only 1 bag. I wish we’d have done more. The Aqua Blue seemed to be the same color as the white, only darker. I liked the color of the Aqua White stones better than the Aqua Blue.
Hi, I have been following this thread. I am trying to pick between Aqua Blue and Aqua White ( I wil be adding the PR or Touch of Glass) curious to know what you liked better about the Aqua White? I also love your tile on the steps , did you use the same for your water line?

Beautiful pool. Is your waterline tile glass?
Thanks. All of the tile is just the basic BMX Blue Mix ceramic that is offered by seemingly ever major pool tile retailer. We wanted something that would be easy to track down in the event that we ever needed more. The sample pictures online don't do it justice - it really is a lot more blue than what is represented. Tile Series: BMX Mix | NPTpool.com

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi, I have been following this thread. I am trying to pick between Aqua Blue and Aqua White ( I wil be adding the PR or Touch of Glass) curious to know what you liked better about the Aqua White? I also love your tile on the steps , did you use the same for your water line?
I liked that there weren’t any black stones. As for waterline, we have 2 kinds. You can see the spa in my avatar pic. The pool is a blue 2x3 subway tile from Noble.

We will start the big dig next week and have everything pretty much picked out .... except ... pool finish. We are leaning toward QS Mini Aqua White with Puerto Rico Blend and abalone shell. Question for @DUCK01 and @honda104 and anyone else with mini finish: Is it rough on feet or in the spa? I've read that it really depends on the skill of applicator as to whether the finish is rough.

Also, did you have the abalone shell hand spread at the end, or mixed with the rest of the material?

Thank you very much for posting your pics. I am new to this board and it has been extremely helpful.

We will start the big dig next week and have everything pretty much picked out .... except ... pool finish. We are leaning toward QS Mini Aqua White with Puerto Rico Blend and abalone shell. Question for @DUCK01 and @honda104 and anyone else with mini finish: Is it rough on feet or in the spa? I've read that it really depends on the skill of applicator as to whether the finish is rough.

Also, did you have the abalone shell hand spread at the end, or mixed with the rest of the material?

Thank you very much for posting your pics. I am new to this board and it has been extremely helpful.
Our NPT mini pebble texture is obviously a little rougher than smooth plaster, but I haven't noticed any issues with it tearing up feet or knees. My 5yo likes to just walk around in the water and I haven't seen any ill effects on his feet after days on end in the pool. I've been in some standard Pebbletec pools (not mini or anything like that) and they were uncomfortably rough, in my opinion. I feel that NPT's mini pebble is closer to a smooth finish than a standard pebble finish. We don't have a spa, so I can't speak to that part of it, but I do sit on the steps and ledges and am not uncomfortable at all.

On our build, the abalone and PR blend were mixed in with the rest of the plaster, likely because we opted to add so much of it. Sure there's probably some that's buried that we won't ever see, but the broadcast is very consistent throughout the pool and we have it in areas like the barstools and table "stem" - I don't think we would have any there were the additions hand broadcasted instead of mixed in at the truck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.