Stone split

jc1of2

Dec 8, 2019
dallas
The winter weather has cracked a stone in our water fall feature. I removed the piece and it can be squeezed back into place. What can I use to glue it back into place? I can get a clamp on one end so I was thinking the sanded grout from Home Depot could work.

Attachments

• IMG_2257.jpeg
    IMG_2257.jpeg
    556.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2258.jpeg
    IMG_2258.jpeg
    608.6 KB · Views: 21
Others here will know better than me, but I don't think grout has very good adhesive properties. The material they set the coping with was probably similar to grout, and that didn't hold it. I'd use a marine epoxy. Do you have West Marine stores in your area? Or Amazon.

Something like this:

Last edited:
Reactions: jc1of2
I used Loctite PL 500 Landscape Construction Adhesive to repair a cracked travertine coping that goes over the pool cover vault. Just did the repair a few days ago so I don't know how well it will hold up.

Type S mortar is the correct product to set stone in.
Mortar over grout, for sure. But I would question the use of mortar when the idea (I think) is to get a large, heavy "chip" to adhere to what it broke off from, without increasing the space between the two. Even making the resulting crack disappear as much as possible. Epoxy could do that. Can mortar be applied that thin? And if it was that thin, would it hold?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.