Stock Tank Pool Entry Step ideas

Bullitz

Aug 7, 2020
Okanagan BC Canada
Hi,

I'm new to the group. My 8' diameter galvanized stock tank just arrived. I've found lots of DYI install information, but no forums to ask questions.

My reason for posting is that I'd like to put a single step that can also be used as a sitting bench inside the stock tank. I have not been able to find any information on materials, instructions, or anything else related to installing a permanent step. I have seen a few pictures of people with stock tanks that have a step.

Also, I'd be interested in general stock tank pool information "Do's and Do Not's" on any subject, but the ones that come to mind are:

1. Filters/Pumps - I will be going with Intex once back in stock, but looking at the Intex 56635EG Krystal Clear Cartridge or the smallest intex sand filter pump? Advice?

2. Installation at ground level/flush to the deck vs sitting above the deck/ground where you have to step over the side of the pool?

3. If installing flush to a deck, do you keep the metal lip just above the deck, or completely cover the lip?

4. Any other information related to stock tank pools that you wish you had known before you started out?

Any information would be greatly appreciated, especially the reasons for recommending why or why not to do something.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help!

Don’t know anything about stock tanks, but I would definitely go sand filter. Cartridges are a pain. I would also size up if going with Intex, they always undersize.

Don’t know anything about stock tanks, but I would definitely go sand filter. Cartridges are a pain. I would also size up if going with Intex, they always undersize.

Thanks for your advice! My only question is that the sand filter pump says the minimum size pool is 2800 gallons, which is four times bigger than the 700 gallon stock tank. I have seen a video where a guy installed the sand filter, and it seemed fine. Why would there be a minimum pool size if this sand filter pump works on something so much smaller than the minimum recommended pool size? Is there an issue with exceeding the minimum recommended pool size?

I didn’t realize how small your pool is! But I think that sand filter will be fine. Over sizing usually isn’t an issue, you just don’t want to undersize.

I hated the cartridge filter that came with mine, because Intex does undersize them. But for your smaller number of gallons, that would work too.

I would definitely go sand filter. Cartridges are a pain.
I hated the cartridge filter that came with mine, because Intex does undersize them
It is Intex's fault that they use hot tub filters on pools, not the cartridge. If you put the Intex cartridge on a hot tub it works AWESOME. Or my 500 sq footers on any pool for example. :)

Also Hey Bullitz and Welcome !!

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not sure about a step. Just wanted to say I've been interested in stock tank builds. You should post another thread so we can follow along while you get your stock tank pool built! Very cool idea.

Reactions: Newdude
Ya, I wasn't sure if there was a way to create a stock tank pool "Section" of this forum. I'll take a closer look and see what I can do!
I would just create a thread under the "under construction" section. There all types of pools in there.

Ya, I wasn't sure if there was a way to create a stock tank pool "Section" of this forum. I'll take a closer look and see what I can do!
The sub-forum does NOT specify *what* is under construction. You easily qualify. :)

Know what it DOES say ???? That we love photos. Just sayin.

Reactions: Cwiggs
If you are handy you could make something similar to what @kellyfair linked to and use 45* elbows to kind of curve around the inside and use the trex type deck boards or go with something like THIS. I just did a search for plastic step stool.
As far as the deck around it I would do it like the pic you posted that looks good and you wouldn't have to worry about stepping over the lip. And I would go with a sand filter also, easy maintenance/cleaning.

If you are handy you could make something similar to what @kellyfair linked to and use 45* elbows to kind of curve around the inside and use the trex type deck boards or go with something like THIS. I just did a search for plastic step stool.
As far as the deck around it I would do it like the pic you posted that looks good and you wouldn't have to worry about stepping over the lip. And I would go with a sand filter also, easy maintenance/cleaning.

Thanks, this put me over the top on the sand filter!

Reactions: kellyfair

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.