Stinky Pucks?

marcgr

Bronze Supporter
Oct 4, 2015
Austin, TX
I am thinking bleach is going to be in short supply for a while. I bought a bucket of pucks from Costco, date code 20008716, and they reek! My whole garage smells of chlorine even with the lid closed on these.

Is this normal? Will there be any chlorine left in them or are they just CYA pucks now?

Attachments

• 04A19DD9-EEC1-409C-B5D4-E61E736C45B8.jpeg
    04A19DD9-EEC1-409C-B5D4-E61E736C45B8.jpeg
    19.9 KB · Views: 6
There’s plenty of chlorine but it sounds like the pucks may have gotten wet. They should not be emitting chlorine. Also sounds like the lid is not closing adequately. You should get them out of the garage because those vapors will cause corrosion of metal parts. They should be stored outside in a place where they can not get wet.

Are those Clorox pucks from Costco? Do they say "Blue" anywhere on the labels? If so they contain copper and are not recommended to be used. Copper will accumulate in your pool water and cause staining and other undesired effects.

There’s plenty of chlorine but it sounds like the pucks may have gotten wet. They should not be emitting chlorine. Also sounds like the lid is not closing adequately. You should get them out of the garage because those vapors will cause corrosion of metal parts. They should be stored outside in a place where they can not get wet.
Thanks. The bucket was sealed so I don’t know how they could get wet? Anyway I think I need to move them outside now.

Ye
Are those Clorox pucks from Costco? Do they say "Blue" anywhere on the labels? If so they contain copper and are not recommended to be used. Copper will accumulate in your pool water and cause staining and other undesired effects.
Yes. I’m a BBB Believer and only ever bought pucks once before so I don’t know what to get! Anyway they are Clorox XtraBlue but the tablets themselves are white and no listing of copper on the label anywhere so...?

Ye

Yes. I’m a BBB Believer and only ever bought pucks once before so I don’t know what to get! Anyway they are Clorox XtraBlue but the tablets themselves are white and no listing of copper on the label anywhere so...?

Clorox is not very transparent, they have copper in them. Blue is the code word. You will not see the copper. Those tablets are not recommended for long term use.

The first time I opened a trichlor puck from the packaging, the bleach smell smacked me in the face big time lol. I was NOT expecting it. Sounds normal to me but I would listen to the experts. I’m a LC girl but with the bleach shortage, I feel your pain lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.