Still leaking

Aug 31, 2018
Florence
I tried to plug all returns,skimmer and main drain. I couldn’t get the rubber plugs so I used pvc threaded caps with Teflon tape. I know this is not water tight but how much should I expect it to leak in 12 hours? I tightened as tight as possible. According to my measurements pool is leaking about 743 gallons in 24 hours. Could it leak this much through three returns and and skimmer and main drain?

I have had a leak detection company to check the pool and they said the skimmer and main frame are good. I had a tree root that broke one of the return lines and that has been repaired. Not exactly sure how or where to do the dye test.

Yikes! That’s a lot of water! If you’re not on a well, call the water company and see how much your usage has gone up. The other way to test for a leak has to do with filling a bucket with water and putting it on your steps. You mark the water level on the outside and check for a change in x hours- I can’t recall the specifics, but check YouTube for further info.

There is a sealing liquid we used a few years ago that worked well for our small leak. Don’t think it would be much help to you at the amounts you claim, but I’ll see if I can find the info on it and post back, just in case.

I would call in a different leak detection company. You need someone to be more thorough. Mind you our company almost didn’t find our leak [emoji849]

These are the plugs that were used by our leak detection company (and are still there in heat intakes as that’s where my leak is).
5a323a15c9f62893a10f2ee93f41ee37.jpg
0973793d04129d2c92c72ae3538bd8c8.jpg

I tried to plug all returns,skimmer and main drain. I couldn’t get the rubber plugs so I used pvc threaded caps with Teflon tape. I know this is not water tight but how much should I expect it to leak in 12 hours? I tightened as tight as possible. According to my measurements pool is leaking about 743 gallons in 24 hours. Could it leak this much through three returns and and skimmer and main drain?

What kind of pool?
Do you have a light?
Could be lots of places, but knowing the pool type (vinyl, gunite, fiberglass) is important.
I doubt the leak is in your plumbing if you have everything plugged, even with threaded plugs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.