Still green....

Jul 19, 2021
West Texas
Just when I thought I was getting the hang of it. I've tested a lot lately, and I think my results are public; please let me know if not. I had very high TA, and I ended up with low FC and a green tint that quickly turned into a dark green. I used Muriatic Acid to get the TA under control, and then I made a homemade fountain to aerate to increase PH. Things were looking really good in pool math yesterday, and I went out and vacuumed, and it seemed to be clearing up nicely. I made my way around the pool, and by the time I was done, it just looked like I stirred up a mess. I did one more dose of Muriatic Acid and let the pump work. I vacuumed thoroughly today and I still have a dark green pool. What am I doing wrong?

p.s. we had a huge rain two nights ago that raised my level about two inches.

If the pool is full of algae, quit dealing with TA -- just make sure the pH is near 7.2 and follow the SLAM Process. Some of your reported pH levels are far less than what any test kit can measure.

Never add acid that lowers your pH below 7. Low pH is the most destructive parameter to pool equipment.

I was just about to ask what I did that made this mess... So when my TA was extremely high and my pH was around 7.2, what should I have done? is Muriatic acid a bad idea all together?

What is your recommended approach to increasing pH? is what I'm doing with the fountain good enough?

There is no reason to push the TA lower in a hurry. Just manage the pH. Keep the pH in the 7's. When it reaches 7.8, lower it to 7.4.

@ Mknauss, so before I go any further I wanted to check with you... We had a ton of rain last night and the pool looks better but still green. I did another test and the levels are far better. pH is at 7.4, but we are expecting a lot more rain tonight and tomorrow. Here are my questions:

1. Do I continue with SLAM process?
2. Do I need to lower pH?
3. Bleach or Dichlor for SLAM process?
4. What can I do to make sure the coming rain doesn't sabotage me? (I'm doing that just fine on my own)

Rain, unless it is enough to greatly overflow the pool, has little effect on pool water chemistry. In W Texas if you are getting Tropical Storm amounts of rain, you have bigger issues than the pool. Only use bleach/liquid chlorine. Dichlor is 50% CYA.

Follow the SLAM Process. If pH is 7.4, you can leave it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.