Still green

Latinroadie

Jun 3, 2019
Swan Lake, NY
I started with 5Gal of bleach PH 7.6 is great
CYA is 45 TA is 113 but pool is still a bit green and filter been on and off 8 hours a day during sun light I add 1 gal per week of bleach. Number stay good
And I doing anything wrong?

What product did you add to get your CYA to 40? How much?

How do you know you are in "SLAM mode" when you can't test your FC properly?

There is a lot of good advice in this thread but it's not clear that you're following it? I would suggest you take a break and slowly read through the thread from the beginning, and look back at the comments to be sure you're doing everything that has been recommended.

If you do that, you'll have a sparkling clean pool in no time.

What product did you add to get your CYA to 40? How much?

How do you know you are in "SLAM mode" when you can't test your FC properly?

There is a lot of good advice in this thread but it's not clear that you're following it? I would suggest you take a break and slowly read through the thread from the beginning, and look back at the comments to be sure you're doing everything that has been recommended.

If you do that, you'll have a sparkling clean pool in no time.
Added dry stabilizer for CYA witch is at 40 at the moment

FC is on idea level but was slammed last week May need more.

FC is on idea level but was slammed last week May need more.

You can't SLAM with your test kit because you've no idea what your FC level is if it's above 5.

The "ideal" marked on your kit is not correct. For your 40 CYA, you need an FC of 5+ ("5-7" per the FC/CYA Levels) at all times. But that's only applicable once you've definitely cleared the water with a proper SLAM.

That is an OTO chorine test which is not very accurate. It basically tells you if you have any chlorine in the pool or not. It also only gives you a TC (total chlorine) reading which is pretty useless. You need a FC reading which is only obtained with a FAS-DPD chlorine test, where you add a scoop of powder to your water sample to turn it pink and then add the chlorine drops to clear it. Dividing the # of drops by 2 gives you the FC number.

To perform a SLAM, you really need one of these types of chlorine tests because they can measure FC accurately all the way up to 50ppm. If your CYA is 40, you need to add liquid chlorine to get you up to 16ppm. That is your SLAM level. You then have to keep that FC at or near 16 as much as possible to kill anything else remaining in the water. Without a proper test kit, you'll be spinning your wheels. You need either the TF-100 or the Taylor K2006C kit or at the very least, you need to buy the FAS-DPD chlorine portion separately. Something like this:

Reactions: Mdragger88
To follow the SLAM Process protocols you need a kit that includes fas/dpd (to accurately test higher fc levels) & a cya test
See Test Kits Compared.
the tf100 from tftestkits.net is the best value.
SLAM stands for Shock Level And Maintain until all 3 end of slam criteria are met. It is not a one time addition of chlorine. Until you get a proper test kit just add 5ppm worth of liquid chlorine daily to keep it from getting worse.
When your kit comes in you can post your results here for guidance if needed.

What test kit are you using? What is your FC currently? If you pool is green you need to follow the SLAM Process
FC at 3.0
You can't SLAM with your test kit because you've no idea what your FC level is if it's above 5.

The "ideal" marked on your kit is not correct. For your 40 CYA, you need an FC of 5+ ("5-7" per the FC/CYA Levels) at all times. But that's only applicable once you've definitely cleared the water with a proper SLAM.

Well the pool math App said I need to be at 16 (slam) at 8600 gal and it asked me to add 2 gal of bleach so I added 3 wish me luck

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the help question what test kit you recommend to get actual FC?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.