Still green....SLAM'ing help

Your choice.

The first factor in a successful SLAM is crystal clear water. Not cloudy water.

Take care.

Can I ask what is causing the cloudy water?

I know the criteria and I've read all about the slam process. I held my pool at 29 FC for 5 days. The green went away. I'm now sitting at 12 FC with 0 CC and not losing any FC overnight. That's 2 parts. But the water is still cloudy (for the past 5 days or so).

I've sprayed off my cartridges nearly every day - they don't even look that bad when I spray them off. I have a large filter too.

I know you will all state that I need to keep slamming until clear but I just want to know what difference that makes and how that will clear up the water.

It's exhaustion at this point. The season is almost over and we'll be wrapping it up soon anyway. I just feel terrible that the season ending pool party for my 7yr old may not happen because of this.

Should I buy new cartridges?

Can you post a current picture of the pool? One with the steps or a vacuum head in it for a clarity reference?

And a picture of your equipment pad?

Have you inspected your cartridges for any damage? Are you sure that you’re reassembling the filter correctly?

Went to pool store yesterday and had water tested. I verified everything with my TF100 and salt kit but couldn't measure phosphate, borates and dissolved solids. All other numbers were same.

FC 10
CC 0
PH 7.3
CH 50
TA 90
CYA 70
Salt 3200
Phosphate 1000
Borate 50
Total dissolved solids 4600

They want me to FLOC but I'm concerned as I have a cartridge filter. I can still vacuum to waste but I'm afraid of not getting all of the FLOC and it making it's way into my filter a day or so later.

20180816_083433.jpg
20180816_083422.jpg
20180816_083352.jpg
20180816_083348.jpg
20180816_083327.jpg

Thank you.
Again...I just don't understand how continuing to SLAM will help my situation. Adding more FC into the pool is only wasting money as I don't have a CC issue and I'm not losing FC overnight. I have dead algae and the filter is not picking it up.

At this point, I have to assume my cartridges are bad. I don't know why...they're not old, i've taken good care of them, and they don't appear to be torn.

I understand your skepticism. 10's of 1000's of pools have gone from swamp to clear using the SLAM process to completion. Your choice.

Cartridges do not go 'bad' unless they are torn or the bases are deteriorated.

Thank you.
Again...I just don't understand how continuing to SLAM will help my situation. Adding more FC into the pool is only wasting money as I don't have a CC issue and I'm not losing FC overnight. I have dead algae and the filter is not picking it up.

Algae are microscopic. A pool doesn't have to be green to have live algae present in it. It's likely that the algae is reproducing at roughly the same rate your chlorine is killing it. That's why it won't clear up. 90% of the time we find that cloudy water is a chemical issue, not a filtration issue. Raising your FC back to SLAM levels until the water is perfectly clear is the only way to be sure that all algae has been eradicated and this is the reason that clear water is one of the three criteria for completing a SLAM. If your water was not clear, you ended your SLAM prematurely. Now you are seeing the result of that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok...thank you both.

I'll raise it back up tonight. I have no other options.
Just seems to me that if there was live algae in there, i wouldn't pass the overnight test and I would have combined chlorine showing.

I'll go with high FC until I get some crystal clear water.

You can still have the swim party! The water is clear enough to see someone on the bottom. So long as the FC is a tick under the SLAM level for your CYA it is safe to swim in. I say :party: time!

Kim TFP MOD (please note I did a little cleaning up of this thread)

Thank you.

At this point, I have to assume my cartridges are bad. I don't know why...they're not old, i've taken good care of them, and they don't appear to be torn.

You are the hardest part of the SLAM...............waiting...........waiting for the filter to clear that last bit out of the water. It will happen. One day you will walk out to look at your pool and will see the sparkle back in the water!

There is nothing wrong with your filters. No need to get new ones. Once you get done with this SLAM you can deep clean the cartridge. You will soak the element for at least on hour (overnight is most effective) in (1) a commercial filter cleaner; or (2) one cup trisodium phosphate (TSP) to five gallons water; or (3) one cup dishwasher detergent to five gallons of water. I bought a large, plastic trash can to do this in when I had a cartridge filter.

Kim:kim:

You are the hardest part of the SLAM...............waiting...........waiting for the filter to clear that last bit out of the water. It will happen. One day you will walk out to look at your pool and will see the sparkle back in the water!

There is nothing wrong with your filters. No need to get new ones. Once you get done with this SLAM you can deep clean the cartridge. You will soak the element for at least on hour (overnight is most effective) in (1) a commercial filter cleaner; or (2) one cup trisodium phosphate (TSP) to five gallons water; or (3) one cup dishwasher detergent to five gallons of water. I bought a large, plastic trash can to do this in when I had a cartridge filter.

Kim:kim:

Just to expand on what Kim said, a lot of us have a second set of cartridges for cleaning so we can just swap them out, start the pool back up, and then clean the dirty ones.

Did you take pictures when there was "overcast"? If so, the water may appear to be cloudy. How does it look like in full sun? Lastly, you may want to slowly (And I mean slowly) vacuum the pool manually, but with a skimmer sock to pick up any debris that is floating in the pool. You can carefully even vacuum the walls, edges, etc. and see if this helps, but you will need a skimmer sock.

- - - Updated - - -

The corner of the second picture in post # 46 appears to be crystal clear as the you have full sun in that corner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.