Still green after 5 days

No access to a manual vac head so you can vac to waste? Have you brushed the last few days - especially the deep end? When you add the DE, you should see the pressure go up 1psi. Then let the filter do it's job. Don't backwash until the pressure rises another 6-8 psi. The dirtier the filter the better it cleans, that's why we add the DE - it's "dirtying" the filter in a sense. IF you backwash to soon, you've backwashed out the DE and it doesn't do what its meant to do. Hope that makes sense? You are almost there - keep it at shock level till clarity is achieved and try not to back wash. Until the pressure coming out of the returns is reduced, you shouldn't have to backwash... if your pressure/flow isn't changing then its not filtering out the gook. Keep at it for another day or so... then you can try traditional clarifier (if you like, but that's up to you.)

Thanks. There's no measurable gunk on the floor to vac to waste. I've brushed every day as well as run the robot for 2-4 hours with no real sign of "dirt"... just a normal amount of sand/dirt/dust. I added the DE until the gauge registered 1 lb above and 6 hours later it was up by nearly 10 lbs. I backwashed at that time but the sight glass remained nearly clear. Without the DE the pressure stays at 21 lbs.

Okay sounds like you are doing it right - just cuz the sight glass stays clear doesn't mean it isn't working, especially since your dealing with grey/white stuff not necessarily evil greenies. Repeat the process, it can take several days for the DE trick to work but it does work, I have used it myself. POP, plenty of POP. (or try the clarifier if your running low on POP.)

Thanks for asking. I spent Saturday (day 14) replacing the filter's valve diverter where the rubber seal was badly worn. I also replaced the sand. The sand that I removed wasn't clumpy... it looked (and smelled) fairly new. I bought the house last autumn and didn't get a lot of information from the previous owner; I didn't know the condition/age of the sand. I'll give it several days to determine if the water quality is improving after these maintenance issues. In my mind's eye I think the water is slightly clearing. I'll let you know in the coming days.

Attachments

• sm_2013-Day-18.jpg
    sm_2013-Day-18.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 34
  • sm_2013-Pool-Day-18.jpg
    sm_2013-Pool-Day-18.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 34
It's been exactly 28 days since I started destroying & removing the winter growth (algae). Today, for the first time EVER, I am able to clearly see the drain! Every day since I repaired the filter I've seen some progress. The filter pressure increased and I backwashed to witness some very dirty water through the site glass. The system works, as I knew it would, and I thank each of you for your assistance and reassurance. POP. My numbers are looking pretty good and holding steady for most of this endeavor. FC=5.5, CC=0, pH=7.8, TA=110, CH=70, & CYA=50. Water temp is 62° so it'll be a while before anyone dips a toe :) Thanks again!!

Attachments

• sm-Day-28-Crystal-Clear.jpg
    sm-Day-28-Crystal-Clear.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 19
Way to go wollerd :goodjob: That was a battle! Did you close the pool last year, or did the previous owners? My guess is there was a problem at that point. What kind of winter cover do you have? Is it opaque? If not I would get one for next winter. Then just make sure to check the water temp and open before the pool water consistenly gets to 60F.

Now that you have it cleared, make sure your FC does not go below 4 ppm (per poolcalculator.com and 50 ppm cya). Also, keep your eye on the ph. If it goes above 7.8, I would lower it down to 7.4-7.5.

The pool was closed and covered (mesh) when we purchased the home. He did blow out the lines but I don't think he did any other maintenance at that time. That's why I decided to open so early... to get everything in check before a scheduled event at the beginning of June :) The new found sparkle is so nice to visit in the morning with my cup of coffee...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.