Still got it!

censored

Silver Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Recently returned to pool ownership after 5 years. The new place has an old pool that was terrible! The equipment was worn, valves were stripped, and it was filthy! Of course it passed everything on the home inspection :mad: ... So upgraded some equipment and got back into the TFP method and am now crystal clear! New setup is great with the prefilter from Leslie's. Totally recommend that thing.

Old gear

20230219_154504.jpg

New Gear

20230308_112348.jpg

Vac now working with proper suction

20230225_135831.jpg

Day one in the pre filter

20230228_121236.jpg

Now

20230307_121236.jpg

Before and after

IMG_20230309_152400.jpg

I should say the "before" was actually a couple days in. The bottom of the pool started as a pile of leaves. I bought a robot since my pump and filter weren't working right. The robot was great at debris but could not get the fine first and sand that had been accumulating in the pool. Nothing compares to suction for that.

Anyways, glad to be back on the forum and looking forward to learning new things from you all as always!

Nice. With some refreshed landscaping you'll have a great yard and pool.

Don't forget to paint the new PVC to protect it from the sun.
What is the concensus on painting exposed PVC? I've heard arguments on both sides(painting vs not painting). My PB said not to paint it, but a family member who was an engineer said it should be painted. If it should be painted, what type of paint should be used?

PVC manufacturers recommend painting PVC exposed to UV. I can't imagine what your PB's reasoning is, since PVC is not rated to be in the sun. You can use exterior latex paint. Pentair sells paint for pad plumbing that matches their equipment. Not sure if Jandy does or not. Acrylic is best, don't use oil base. Only light colors. Black might look cool, but it retains heat and is not what you want to do to a PVC pipe.

There is a school of thought that 2" Schedule 40 PVC is so thick that it'll outlast anything else on your pad, even if exposed to the sun. And that might be true (or might not), but painting is easy and looks great so why risk it? We have a thread here where a pipe laying on the concrete pad cracked wide open, the kind of damage that UV exposure would cause. It was a drain pipe and not typically full of water, and perhaps the heat radiating off the concrete played a hand. Just some anecdotal "evidence."

Here's a good read that might answer your questions about it:

Last edited:
I have used unpainted PVC on a pool and two irrigation systems. Perfect results.....oldest is 12+ years and never a leak. Numerous repairs and re-glues and never a leak.

I have used years old pvc in outdoor, uv-exposed applications without incident but I wouldn't consider doing that in applications over 50 or so psi.

I think schedule 40 is rated somewhere around 180 psi at 70 F. The pressures we use with pools and irrigation do not exceed 30-35.

Is it better looking if you paint it? Lordy Yes! Yes!. For cosmetic reasons I think it is well worth painting but to help it keep it's flex and strength, think it is irrelevant. If a manufacturer is suggesting to paint it, he is likely to doing so to shed liability.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.