Ocala, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Per recommendations, I added Boric acid late last Summer to 50 ppm. It really helped me do a better job of balancing the pH & Alkalinity. However, it is still an issue.
I have re tested the Boric acid level, added 5# about a month ago and I'm back to 50 ppm.
A few days (5/11/22) ago my pH was 7.91 and Alkalinity was 57 ppm. I added about 1.5# Baking Soda and 1 qt. Muriatic acid. Today (5/13/22) my pH is 7.93 and Alkalinity is 62 ppm.
I know I need to add acid and I also know what it will do to my Alkalinity, which is borderline already.

Suggestions.

CH:310, CYA: 81, Salt: 3,000, Temp: 85, FC:2.3, TC:2.3.

Per recommendations, I added Boric acid late last Summer to 50 ppm. It really helped me do a better job of balancing the pH & Alkalinity. However, it is still an issue.
I have re tested the Boric acid level, added 5# about a month ago and I'm back to 50 ppm.
A few days (5/11/22) ago my pH was 7.91 and Alkalinity was 57 ppm. I added about 1.5# Baking Soda and 1 qt. Muriatic acid. Today (5/13/22) my pH is 7.93 and Alkalinity is 62 ppm.
I know I need to add acid and I also know what it will do to my Alkalinity, which is borderline already.

Suggestions.

CH:310, CYA: 81, Salt: 3,000, Temp: 85, FC:2.3, TC:2.3.
What about the pH? It’s too high.

It's inching too high, sure. I'd bring it down and re-test TA and see what it is. If 50 or higher you should be fine.

Then the pH is fine. I would allow your pH to rise to 8 or 8.2 and see if it stabilized. Your signature shows 5 pumps. If you run that many water features very often it will also push the pH higher.

Then the pH is fine. I would allow your pH to rise to 8 or 8.2 and see if it stabilized. Your signature shows 5 pumps. If you run that many water features very often it will also push the pH higher.
Two pumps are water features-hardly ever run. Main filtration is two pumps. I minimize spa spillway to reduce aeration.

my pH was 7.91 and Alkalinity was 57 ppm
Assuming those values were accurate, they were fine and no further action was needed.

I added about 1.5# Baking Soda and 1 qt. Muriatic acid.
That's like pressing the gas and the brake at the same time. You'll end up chasing your tail.

Let the TA drift down and the pH will stabilize, probably in the high 7s. A TA of 50 is fine.

Can you point me un the direction of recommended ranges for ALL chemistry? I seem to be finding conflicting recommendations.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Recommended Levels

But remember. We base our recommendations on using Taylor testing. I suspect your machine data is reading higher pH. So letting the pH go above recommended, as long as CSI is OK, is outside of normal levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.