still cloudy, 14 days

Sam T

Mar 28, 2017
France
hi guys, hoping to get some advice from some pool experts here becuse i am certainly not.
we are delighted to have found your very imformative site but i still would like to clarify that i am doing the right thing.
we are in france and so the temp is about 12degrees but we start the pool early to be able to swim in May.
i do not have one of these wonderrful test kits that you keep advising to get but i do have a brother in the us and he will bring me one in may when he visits. For now i have some test strips which present a different colour for the different values.like this.....
here are my current values.
550AFB40-5ED1-43CF-A798-2E8467808D91

Total hardness 1000
total chlorine 10
free chlorine 10
ph 7.2
total alkalinity 120
cya 50

its never easy testing the pool with these strips because the colours are not so bold on the papers as they are on the chart but thts what weve got to go by.

weve come a long way, the pool is now blue but cloudy i can see the second step of the ladder but not the bottom. But its not changed in 5 days now.
I was backwashing twice a week but now i have read that perhps its not good to backwash until the pressure reading says its necessary because it opens up all the sand and maybe thats our problem with smaller particiles not being filtered out? Im hoovering every other day.

the cya was high in the beginning but we emptied 2/3 and refilled with fresh tap water. The water in out area is very hard. Does this have an effect on anything?

i did the overnight test and it is the same reading in the evening as it is in the morning so it doesnt look like any chlorine is being used up.

I am not sure about how the value of totl chlorine would be able to go down to 0.5.
so at the moment it is standing at 10tc 10 fc. Should i bring that up to 20fc? To keep it high in shock as you can see from my test strips it is difficult to be accurate with that.

What harm will it do if i go over board on the bleach and just chuck it in? And forgot to say in the signature its a pvc liner.
any advice gratefully recieved. Thanks for reading.

According to the cya chart your shock number is 20 with cya 50. Add chlorine to get there and maintain it til pool is clear. That level won't hurt your pool but drastically higher will eventually bleach the color of your liner, like keeping it 30 or so. The hardness is high but manageable I think. Your cc number would be tc minus fc, so 0 when tc and fc both are the samekeep on it like you are and it will clear up. Remember to run filter 24/7 until clear and don't worry about cleaning it til pressure rises 25% above your clean pressure. Should be clear by may and the test kit will make things easier

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately it is going to be very difficult to SLAM the TFP way without one of the recommended test kits. The test strips are pretty much as good as useless and I would certainly be loathe to be adding anything other than bleach/liquid chlorine. Have you looked at getting a kit sent over from the US- May seems to be a long time away. There could be a couple of other options and someone from the UK recently organised one through Amazon.

According to the cya chart your shock number is 20 with cya 50. Add chlorine to get there and maintain it til pool is clear. That level won't hurt your pool but drastically higher will eventually bleach the color of your liner, like keeping it 30 or so. The hardness is high but manageable I think. Your cc number would be tc minus fc, so 0 when tc and fc both are the samekeep on it like you are and it will clear up. Remember to run filter 24/7 until clear and don't worry about cleaning it til pressure rises 25% above your clean pressure. Should be clear by may and the test kit will make things easier

Thanks so much for your advise. So i will add more blech to bring it up to 20 again, to keep it in shock levels until it starts to clear, keep filtering, keep hoovering, and wait.

becuse the test strips are difficult to get an accurate reading and the values have been on 10 for the past 2 days, its hard to know if that 10 is a true 10 or if it is actually at 20 already.

i read on someone elses post that she took a half sample of pool water and half filled with tap water took the test and then times by two. Would that show me if the true reading is higher?.

I did it thismorning and the 10tc 10fc becme 5 and 5 so that does indicate it is sitting at 10ppm
am i right???

accorrding to the pool calculator i will need to add 17 litres of bleach to bring it up to 20fc???

The test results mean exactly that. You appear to have fc 10. I did a rough conversion from meters to feet and used 78 ft x 12 ft x 4 ft and got 28000 gal not 46000. At 28000 gal I calculat about 17 liters 6% bleach. If your bleach is stronger it will take less

At the risk of sounding repetitive- it will be very difficult to perform the SLAM as you are describing without the correct test kit. The precision required to perform this process is based on using the recommended test kit with the FAS- DPD test for high levels of chlorine and the CYA test-integral to the success of the process. The test strips have neither the reliability or accuracy required.

I would be focusing on how to get hold of one, which whilst I know is difficult may be much more likely to lead to a resolution to your problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.