steve_NY

May 22, 2020
Long Island, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Interested in this info as well. Signed a contract a few months ago and did not include any automation at the time. Our dig is expected to start in the next week or 2.
We are getting an automatic pool cover, but we would not want that on the automation.
We are also going to have some sheer descents. We don't really need automation for that, since with the auto cover, they will only be on when cover is open (and when we decide to turn them on.)

Looking at my notes, pool builder said automation would be $2200, or $3500 for a bigger panel. (I dont have brands or model #'s written down in my notes)

As this will be my first time having a pool, is automation needed/worth it?
what would I actually use it for?
I can see using it to turn on heater certain months of the year.

This will be a salt water pool.

Also, for a beginner question, if I don't get any automation, how do I use the equipment? Guessing I just walk over to it and hit some buttons?

You need to get details on all the equipment and model numbers your builder is planning on giving you.

Automation usually needs to be matched to the equipment you have.

No one needs automation but it can make the pool experience more enjoyable instead of making you feel like a steam engine engineer. And automation can make it easier for non-technical folks in your house to operate the pool equipment.

Read this for an idea about what pool automation can do...

If you don't get automation you should clearly understand from your builder where and how you will control things at your pool.

Post a list of your equipment and your pool design and we can discuss it further.

If you want to be able to control 90% of your pool functions from your phone, you would want automation. This includes:
- Lights, turning on/off, changing colors
- Going from pool mode to spa mode
- Turning on the heater / adjusting the temp
- Adjusting the salt water chlorine generator
- Turning on/off water features including sheer descents (I get what you are saying above, but there are many times where you will want the cover off and the sheer descents off since they can be noisy and also raise your pH)
- Changing the pump speed
- Schedule any of the above to turn on/off at certain times of the day

I'm sure there is a ton that I'm missing, but that should give you an idea of what you can do with automation. You certainly don't need it, but I'm thinking the majority of inground new builds have automation.

Steve,

In a nut shell no one "needs" automation, as everything can be done manually..

That said, if I loaned you an automation system for 90 days, when I came to get it back, you would run me off with a stick... :mrgreen:

Pretty much like electric windows and locks on cars... Are they needed?? Not really, but how many cars are bought without them?

Thanks,

Jim R.

going to see what I can pull from contract that has model #'s

contract was hand written on carbon paper a few months back, and it is smudged in some spots so may need to get more clarity from my wife (who has been the person mainly dealing with this project), and the pool builider

Pool is 16 X 36 rectangle, includes a tanning ledge
concrete pool with vinyl liner

Hayward Filter DE 4820 & VSP Pump
Hayward Heater-400K BTU "natural" (not sure if that is a model type or anything)
3 Hayward LED Low Voltage color accent lights
Deep End bench with 3 jets
Salt Water system -Hayward electronic chlorine generating sanitizing system
Sheer descents (I think three that are 1 foot wide)
extra pump and main drains for water feature
2 skimmers
4 returns
automatic cover (being installed by diff company, recommended and working with pool builder)

That seems to be as specific as I have that I can find, guessing I should probably have gotten more specific model numbers in writing if the above seems to be missing model numbers
(looking through some estimates from pool builders that we didnt choose, and don't see specific model numbers in many places there either. Not sure what is typical from other builders.

With Hayward equipment look at the Aquaplus that combines automation with the SWG controls....

Hayward has a bunch of different automation choices...

Thanks. I appreciate the responses.
There really is so much to learn about pools.
We will probably end up adding some sort of automation.
My wife was the person who has been gung ho about the idea for the pool, and she knows I look carefully at the costs for a project. She probably had them leave it off initial proposal and contract to just show a lower cost, and figuring we would add it in when project started, and deal was already signed.
I will be back with more questions once they arise!

Pool Builder is suggesting Hayward Omni Logic.

I am trying to find the difference between that Hayward Aqua Plus, can't easily see it when trying to compare on Haywards website.

any feedback on the 2?

Steve,

The "Plus" includes a SWCG system (Saltwater cell), and has the basic functions of an automation system..

I am not a Hayward guy, but if I was, that would be the unit that I would most likely buy.. It would really depend on what you want all you have to control..

But.. Before buying anything you need to make sure it will control all the things you want to control.

If you click on the blue AquaPlus it will show you a lot more info..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I just came across this brochure

Page 4 has a nice comparison chart.
It seems that the omnilogic is the most advanced. Seems that it has the most devices that can be controlled. PB said we will have one extra relay spot available, and after that it will be $800 each relay if we expand.

Aquaplus has some salt chlorination cell included. We are getting a hayward salt water generator (its not set up yet, but all equipment was delivered and is still in boxes). They are same brand, so it should communicate well with the omnilogic.

Most of this pool equipment info is currently over my head, but I am trying to learn and research.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hayward has only one SWG system with one type of cell that is used across the OmniLogic, Prologic, Aqua Plus or AquaRite. For a 40K cell it is a T-15/Tcell940/ cell.

The Aqua Plus system is simply a Prologic automation board bundfed with the T-15 cell. The SWG alone without any automation is the AquaRite product.

Not to complicate your decision process further but Hayward came out with a new system this year that is not on the old brochure - OmniPL. One of the challenges with the OmniLoguc/ProLogic systems is their user interface is clunky and hard to use. The OnmiPL is supposed to have a much improved UI. If I was getting a Hayward system that is what I would get.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.