steps to deck question

kteachrm

Bronze Supporter
Sep 27, 2014
Northeast OH
I'm looking for new steps for my pool. As a Johnny Weissmuller, it has the aluminum deck. I'm looking at the Aqua Select but want to be sure they will work. I'm a senior woman and need to add/remove the steps by myself so I can't use sand or I'll never be able to lift them. Does anyone know if these can be filled with water from the pool and therefore drain as lifted out? Or do I not need to worry about it since they will be anchored to the deck with no way to float? Thanks for any insight!

johnny weissmuller pool.jpgpool steps.jpg

I have a confer step system that looks similar to the steps you are showing. Just a FYI even with just water in it, it is a heavy piece to manage. I drilled some holes in it to help fill and empty it but it is heavy. And it takes a while for the water to come out of it. One thing I was told by the manufacturer is some people just leave it in the pool. I guess you put it in the middle of the pool and then winterize the pool.

Can you use a ladder vs steps? Only asking since it took my son and myself to get it up and over the pool wall and it was still a challenge.

I have a confer step system that looks similar to the steps you are showing. Just a FYI even with just water in it, it is a heavy piece to manage. I drilled some holes in it to help fill and empty it but it is heavy. And it takes a while for the water to come out of it. One thing I was told by the manufacturer is some people just leave it in the pool. I guess you put it in the middle of the pool and then winterize the pool.

Can you use a ladder vs steps? Only asking since it took my son and myself to get it up and over the pool wall and it was still a challenge.
Ugh, that's what I'm afraid of. I have the ladder, but each year it get's harder to get out with aging knees and muscle aches and pains since it's so straight up and down (in fact it actually tips in at the bottom making it even harder). Getting old is not for the faint of heart! LOL Leave it in? Wonder how that works.

Thanks for your reply and warning.

My wife and I are in our 60's and we bought our pool last year with the steps because they are so much easier to go up and down. If you don't mind leaving the steps in the pool for the winter that can be the way to go. I never did that so I really don't know how that would be but I can see it being better than hoisting up the steps. The steps I have have 2 "plates" that can get screwed into a deck. We have the whole stair system (inside and outside) and didn't use the plates. All that would be needed at the end of the season is to unscrew the steps from the deck and then shove the stairs into the pool. On opening you would just need to get the stairs to the deck and fastened it again. The only problem will be jumping into the cold water to retrieve the steps!🤣 I hate going into cold water, have done that a few times!

My wife and I are in our 60's and we bought our pool last year with the steps because they are so much easier to go up and down. If you don't mind leaving the steps in the pool for the winter that can be the way to go. I never did that so I really don't know how that would be but I can see it being better than hoisting up the steps. The steps I have have 2 "plates" that can get screwed into a deck. We have the whole stair system (inside and outside) and didn't use the plates. All that would be needed at the end of the season is to unscrew the steps from the deck and then shove the stairs into the pool. On opening you would just need to get the stairs to the deck and fastened it again. The only problem will be jumping into the cold water to retrieve the steps!🤣 I hate going into cold water, have done that a few times!
I live just south of Cleveland, Ohio and we get hard freezes every year. I think that would destroy the plastic steps. I think I'm just going to look for a ladder that inclines. Mine is the stainless steel one that is perfectly straight and doesn't rest on the bottom of the pool, so when you step onto it, it slightly moves closer to the pool wall, which means you're climbing up and out, so it's really hard. Or maybe I should just get rid of the pool but I really hate to do that! Anway, thanks for all of your input! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.