Steps in Converting to a SWG pool

Mendy48

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2018
Midland, MI
As I look into fixing my multivalve, it dawned on me to take this time to think about switching to a SWG system.

I've done some research on the forum to get an idea of where to start but I'm kind of confused as to where to start.

I have all Hayward for my pool instrument and by reading the forums about this, it's sound daunting. I don't even know where to begin.

So first and foremost, where should I begin to start this journey. My husband and I are seriously looking into this now.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Pool Equip Update.JPG

Hi. So whatever unit you pick out will need to be cut into pipe 10. Most SWGs ask for at least 1 ft of Pipe after the heater You can add an elbow and loop that pipe back towards the bottom of the pic, Install the SWG alongside the heater and then loop the pipe back around. to the original exit to the pool.

some people like to keep all their equipment the same. Without automation there is no need other than OCD. Circupool are highly rated here both for longevity and service/warranty. Cells are rated for 100% run time. A 15k unit will need to run 24/7 for your pool AND you will be adding the difference that you can’t make in liquid chlorine. A 30k unit will allow you to usually run about 12 hours, but with the single speed pump that may be costly in the electric bill. A 45k unit would be closer to 8 hours run time and a 60 k unit would be about 6 hours. The difference in purchase price of the bigger units will probably be recovered in your electric bill. The bigger models cost more, but 20% more price could get you 50% less run time /electric usage.

Reactions: mguzzy and Mendy48
He is talking about the size rating for the salt cell.

For example a cell rated for a 15k pool means to properly chlorinate a 15k pool it has to be running at 100% 24/7. That is why we say to buy a cell rated for at least 2x your pool size (so you can run it at a lower % or for less time). For your 17k pool, a 30k would work, 45k would be better.

How many hours a day do you run your pump now, and is it expensive on the electric bill ? Single speed pumps can cost a fortune in some areas and if you are already high at 8 hours a day you will not want to get a unit that needs you to run it 12 hours.

Ideally you would upgrade the pump to a VS now also and then you could run much longer with lower speeds for pennies in compairison. But budgets are tight right now for alot of people so i get it if you only want the SWG.

Reactions: Mendy48
How many hours a day do you run your pump now, and is it expensive on the electric bill ? Single speed pumps can cost a fortune in some areas and if you are already high at 8 hours a day you will not want to get a unit that needs you to run it 12 hours.

Ideally you would upgrade the pump to a VS now also and then you could run much longer with lower speeds for pennies in compairison. But budgets are tight right now for alot of people so i get it if you only want the SWG.

I run my pump from 9am-10pm every day. It's not that expensive on the electric bill. I really don't need to run it that long. I only do because I often pour my liquid chlorine at night, and I need my pump running for an hour for mixing purposes.

Yeah my budget is very very tight right nw, so I only want the SWG, which I've been told I can just add to my existing pump equipment?

Excuse me for being daft.. what are the gizmos at 11, 12, 13 & 14?
No problem...

11) UV Sterilizer (which is completely useless-not worth getting a new light bulb for this).
12) Power supply for UV system (again, useless)
13) Water after coming out of UV system
14) Chlorinator

I run my pump from 9am-10pm every day. It's not that expensive on the electric bill
Ok that’s great. You already run 13 hours and don’t feel it as soon as the bill comes. So you can run at least as long as you already do with no change. Sometimes people have to go from 4 hours to 12 or 16 and they FEEL it.
QUOTE="Mendy48, post: 1788676, member: 170802"]
Yeah my budget is very very tight right nw, so I only want the SWG, which I've been told I can just add to my existing pump equipment
[/QUOTE]
Yup. Just the SWG works fine.

I would take out 11,12,13, and 14 and just plumb the SWG in that spot. Plenty of distance from the heater and get rid of stuff you don't need after you have the SWG.

Ryan
Oh Yeah! That makes sense. Didn't think of that. Well. I need the Chlorinator (#14). I use that for pucks when I go on vacation to keep the chlorine in there. So the pipes I can get rid of would be 11, 12, and 13.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As stated earlier, if your budget can handle it, buying the SWG and a VS pump together is a long term economic winner especially if you choose a combo where they are discounted regularly. Just bought a Circupool VS pump and SWG myself and plan on it paying off in electric and chlorine expense.

Not ..... any....... more if you convert. And it can be a 3 week vacation too.
Oh yeah! forgot about that....you're right.

As stated earlier, if your budget can handle it, buying the SWG and a VS pump together is a long term economic winner especially if you choose a combo where they are discounted regularly. Just bought a Circupool VS pump and SWG myself and plan on it paying off in electric and chlorine expense.

IF you don't mind... could you explain the difference between an SWG and a VS pump? I think I'm getting a bit confused on both.

I'm trying to learn more
here, but I'm all over the place with my learning skills. SWG is soooo new to me.

Swg is for the chlorine portion of the discussion. The VS pump is for an economical point of view to save you money in the long haul. You can run a VS pump 24/7 for $20 bucks a month which on a single speed pump would be for ten days.

VS is shorthand for Variable Speed - refers to a pump which is able to be programmed to run at different speeds throughout the day or night. There are internal controls within the pump that can vary the pump speed and therefore the flow to the pool so you can turn over more or less water during a 24 hour period. They have a different way of working than a single speed pump that is both much more energy efficient and much quieter in their operation.

And typically people who go SWG need it to run 2 to 4 times longer than they were previously running for filtering only. So upgrading the pump goes hand in hand in a lot of cases.

You are easily exempt though.

You were already using your pump 13 hours a day, and it wasn’t costing you a fortune. I can think of several friends who spend $100+ a month on a single speed pump.

I would take out 11,12,13, and 14 and just plumb the SWG in that spot. Plenty of distance from the heater and get rid of stuff you don't need after you have the SWG.

Ryan
That is where I was going with I asked what those gizmos where...
Oh Yeah! That makes sense. Didn't think of that. Well. I need the Chlorinator (#14). I use that for pucks when I go on vacation to keep the chlorine in there. So the pipes I can get rid of would be 11, 12, and 13.
No you don't! You are putting in an SWG. It will make Chlorine just fine when you are vacation... and even better because its not also putting CYA or CH in your pool at the same time. I have had a SWG on my pool for 15 years and the only issue I had going away on vacation was when my son left the heater on.. and our pool was a nice toasty 85 when we got back!

A couple of El's will run the SWG from left to right.. eazy install! As to the VSP.. I think it would be more cost effective to replace your old one when it poops out. You can run on the old one just fine. Depends on if the math works in your favor on that one.

Swg is for the chlorine portion of the discussion. The VS pump is for an economical point of view to save you money in the long haul. You can run a VS pump 24/7 for $20 bucks a month which on a single speed pump would be for ten days.

Ok.... I was watching a video that talked about adding an SWG. Below is a picture of the diagram. Is the cell vessel the SWG, and where would the VS pump go? Does the VP replace my sand filter. Or what does it replace on my equipment? Is it just and additional thing I need to add to my pool equipment?
The YouTube video that talks about it is here. But i didn’t hear anything about a VP pump.

DE12F689-116C-4915-A793-ABE4CA5315A1.jpeg

The VS pump would go where your pump is by replacing/upgrading it. Then the regular filter, regular heater, *new SWG* (yay) and return to pool.

only adding the SWG is cutting the pipe after the heater, Removing all that UV stuff and putting the SWG in that general area instead.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.