May 26, 2011
Windsor Ontario Canada;SW Ontario near Detroit, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Great you are having success.

The pH rise is not due to the liquid chlorine -- just want to clear that up in case others read here.
mknauss Can you please explain your reply? I also thought that liquid chlorine can increase either the pH or the total alkalinity? I having been using liquid chlorine for many, many years. I have been using the the SLAM process and a TFT 100 test kit for many years with great success. I need more liquid chlorine (for a variety of reasons) that I also need to periodically add more muriatic acid. I am also interested in the Stenner pump and live in Ontario, Canada. I am leaning towards a Stenner pump, and I am also considering a Hayward Aqua Rite low Salt system Model # AQR-CUL-LS. Thanks so much for all your assistance. I have learned so much from following TFP.

mknauss Thank You. I have read the article you reference. Do you have have any suggestions to assist in guiding a decision between the Stenner pump and a Hayward Aqua Rite Low Salt system Model # AQR-CUL-LS. I had been leaning towards the Stenner pump as our pool was built in about 1975 and I have read their can be issues with salt generators and older pools. The pool dealers in my area are not familiar with the Stenner pump. The one dealer I trust the most and who has been in business for many years suggests the Hayward Aqua Rite Low Salt System. He has done many pool conversions using this system on older pools. He indicates the low salt system can be used on older pools will greatly reduce issues with metal erosion; and, is also quite simple with low maintenance; mainly clean the cell annually and thouroughly before storing for the season. He only services pools at this point and he did recommend one other dealer if I wanted to pursue the Stenner pump option that may be familiar with this system. I have done a fair amount of research on the Stenner pump and I am in the early stages of researching the Hayward alternative. I am looking for the easiest and least maintenance option. Our main concern with pool maintenance is managing the liquid chlorine. We need to find an alternative to having to add liquid chlorine daily. Any guidance or suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Saltwater in pools, even normal levels, are of no issue to pool equipment. A pool chlorinated with liquid chlorine, and even solid forms of chlorine, have elevated salinity levels over that of tap water.

The decision between a liquid chlorine dosing system and SWCG is really yours to make. Are you home often enough to refill the liquid chlorine tank? Do you have a ready source of liquid chlorine? The pump and lines do take maintenance.
The low salt SWCG are only sold in Canada. I suspect there are some areas that must require them. All they are are normal SWCG units set up to run at lower salinity and thus create lesser amounts of chlorine. For your pool size, I believe a low salt SWCG would need to run 24 hours per day at close to 100% generation levels to create the chlorine needed.

Reactions: jmb
mknauss Thank you. That is very helpful information. We have easy access to liquid chlorine and filling the tank is not an issue. I will look further into the maintenance issues. Good to understand about the difference between the low salt and the regular SWCG. I would not want something that has to run that often and I will look into this further. I am familiar and comfortable with the liquid chlorine. It is the system I know and understand; but, I know some that have been very happy after converting to SWCG; however, I have not asked what systems they are using. This is what is making the decision hard. Would it be possible to suggest a few low maintenance SWCG options. I have read about issues with probes and the need to replace cells.

SWCG are low maintenance if you manage your pool water chemistry. But with a 36000 gallon pool, a full salt SWCG would need to be run quite a bit of hours each day (again, close to 20+ hours) to create the FC level you would need.

You do not have access right now to Circupool SWCG's which make the size you would need (RJ60). Once the border opens you could get one shipped to a mail drop and drive over and pick it up.

mknauss Thank you for moving this to the correct thread Stenner v SWCG. We manage our pool water chemistry carefully and have not had many issues since following the TFP methods. I will continue my research. We live close to the border so this would work if we consider that option. We are not in a big hurry. Thanks again for your guidance. Have a great weekend!

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.