May 16, 2013
Barto, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Et all, I've finally given up on my HASA Liqidator. One of the cheap plastic float valves has broken as I was cleaning out the yearly salt buildup. Here's my question. I want to run a variable rate Stenner pump connected to my pump timer that I run approximately 10 hours a day. If I recall what I read on the forum some time ago was to use the Stenner 45MHP10. Does this make sense? Pool is 30,000 gal concrete. If this works I have two addition questions:
  • 1/4 or 3/8 tubing?
  • 7.5 or 15 gal tank? I buy Liquid Chlorine from the local pool supply in 5 gal jugs.
IMG_0688.JPG

I have a Stenner 45MPHP10 that i run for a set amount of time every night. I use a 15 gal tank and I think 1/4 inch tubing. I adjust tghe timer time when I need more FC

Reactions: calsettle
Not sure on your exact setup, but you could get the 110v version, and use a simple plug in timer that has set on off times. that's probably the simplest. I've heard of people having issues with the adjustable pumps, the non-adjustables are cheaper and pretty much flawless. You could go for a more complicated setup chaining your stenner into your pump timer, but that's a whole other mess to deal with. The one advantage is you can be sure that the stenner won't run without the pool pump running.

Not sure on your exact setup, but you could get the 110v version, and use a simple plug in timer that has set on off times. that's probably the simplest. I've heard of people having issues with the adjustable pumps, the non-adjustables are cheaper and pretty much flawless. You could go for a more complicated setup chaining your stenner into your pump timer, but that's a whole other mess to deal with. The one advantage is you can be sure that the stenner won't run without the pool pump running.
My setup is pretty simple. If you look at the photo. You see the tan timer box, 110v with the outlet to the left of it. I plan on plugging the pump directly to that outlet. Both the Stenner pump and the pump will be on the same timer circuit. I wanted to go with the adjustable pump so I could dial it in based on my pump duration. So, yes anytime the pump is running the Stenner will also be running.

you can adjust the rate of the pump by changing the tube size. mine does 10 gpd, roughly. You can get them from 3 to 40 gpd, figure what your chlorine needs are and adjust your pool pump timer accordingly. I suggest you get the high pressure version with the check valve. Also make sure you get the black UV resistant tubing if it's going to be exposed to sunlight.

I don't think you will like the adjustable pump. It makes a loud clicking noise. It would be better to have a nonadjustable one and just limit your run time with a timer. Get the largest tank you can. The 30 gallon will be better. It's a place to store bleach. You would also just use a barrel as your tank.

Steve, I went and bought the 15 gallon Stenner tank with the 45MPH10 Adjustable pump. I run my pump about 10 hours a day and I wanted to tie the pump into the sam e timer to keep things simple. I'm not worried about any noise this makes as my pool house is 150 feet away from my house. I'm still waiting on deliver, adding Liquid Chlorine manually until it arrives. I discontinued use of the LIqidator as one of the float valves broke and I was never able to get the Chlorine level in my Polo using it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.