Stenner installation with buried tank for AZ heat

Hello fellow Arizona pool owners- love the ingenuity you folks have shown in these Stenner installs. I am in the planning stages myself right now, and I was wondering if anyone was aware of any installs that utilize a storage tank that is in the interior of a home? As opposed to burying a tank to keep things cooler, I have a walk-in closet that is right adjacent to where my pool equipment is, and was wondering if a 15 or 30 gallon tank could be placed in the closet if adequate ventilation to the outside were provided. This would be a bit different than a basement tank install, given that this is actual living space within the home, and only about 5 x 10 ft. in size. Obviously, proper ventilation is key, but besides that, any issues you foresee? (Incredulous wife has been accounted for, lol)
Thanks for any input!

Hi JK in PHX AZ
I like your ingenuity but I would never consider placing a stenner tank/pump inside the house. Not a liquid chlorine and especially not an MA stenner. Maybe, in an outside shed/pool house or something like that, with of course the proper ventilation as you mentioned.

I'm just thinking that too many things have the possibility to fail. The housing, plastic tubing etc "could" fail and leak. No matter how careful you are, accidents "can" happen.
From my perspective, I would look at it from a safety standpoint not to mention the damage that might occur to your home. If something were to fail, of course it would do it when you were not home. :)

That's just my opinion.
Good luck and all the best.
r.

Reactions: Arizonarob
Thanks guys..... just to clarify, it would be only the supply tank that is indoors, the Stenner itself would be outdoors, so the only foreseeable failure modes would be the pvc suction line going to the pump, the vent line, and the tank itself. And of course, I'd have to be pretty careful about filling the tank. I'm sorely tempted to try this, but.....

There are plenty of installs that have the tank in the basement of the house for the bleach.
I would be nervous about having the acid tank in the house, those fumes are no joke.

Attached are some photos of my dual Stenner Chlorine and Acid install.... Thanks for all above for the inspiration.

ptvfwDlJQEWYpu1q7QrecA.jpg

5 Gal "Jerrycan" for 10% Chlorine in an interior closet, supply tube in the back, vent tube in fill cap in front.

ILnZ1r6qSPCHP%7bRoLYzQ.jpg

Both tubes, and the two 24v power cords, are routed thru a 3/4" PVC pipe to the outside.

q%GzxAX2Tq2cy6RujlfxUg.jpg

PVC pipe exits into a NEMA enclosure mounted on the outside stucco wall. The Chlorine pump is seen here, with fittings
for the Jerrycan vent, pressure side of Chlorine line, and spill vent exiting the bottom of the NEMA box.

q5PibBI2Rzaib+XiWUJG2g.jpg

Acid pump seen on left. Both E20T4G pumps are in one NEMA box, but sealed off from each other to prevent any
liquids/gases from intermingling in the event of a leak.

bDgC2zW2RoWgi+n2M2dl5w.jpg

White supply tube for acid, 3 clear tubes for venting and spill drains, and 2 black pressure tubes to injectors.
3/4" thick foam board on lid seals off the acid from the chlorine sections.

OKkEkFH0TFS43hcDae+w3Q.jpg

The two injectors

Kx4x4To3SqOmHq%VTb7Vyw.jpg

Acid Jerrycan, 5 Gal. I used cable glands in the bottom of the NEMA box to seal off and hold the vent, pressure and
drain lines as they come out of the bottom of the box. Vent and drain lines go thru the small gap between the concrete
block and the house foundation, and terminate 2 feet out.

fyCJXli+T2iU+M41S5V+WQ.jpg

Another view of the whole setup. I used the same NEMA box as the other folks in this post, but I would recommend
painting it with a UV-resistant spray bomb, as the ABS plastic is not UV resistant itself. You can buy UV resistant boxes,
but they cost another $60 bux more!!

Nice work, but you are going to want to change out the white tube from your acid tank to the Stenner with some of the black (UV Resistant) tubing as well.

JK, Looks nice. A couple of comments:
1. I would probably have gone with a 15 gallon for the Chlorine.
2. Make sure your Chlor and Acid vent don't terminate the same place (Chlorine gas when mixed. Not the healthiest)
3. If you ever have the Stenner pumps run without the Pump running, it looks like both Clorine and Acid would end up together in your filter unless there is something I'm missing. That would not be good.

Hi Runboy, I'll keep an eye on chlorine usage, but when I was adding it manually to the pool, it was around 3/4 of a gallon per week, so keeping up with the 5 gallon Jerrycan shouldn't be too inconvenient. I'll separate the chlor and acid vent lines, so our local bunnies don't get to experience WWI. Yeah, the chlor and acid injection points are about a foot apart, and run 12 hours apart, but a fail-safe that would stop the pumps in the event of no water circulation is something I'm trying to cobble together. (Flow switch with relay to the 120v outlet powering the pumps is what I'm considering)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
3/4 of a gallon of 10% sodium hypochlorite is 4.4 ppm FC. That is all you consume in a week.

That is unusual. In Phoenix.

Hi Marty, I conveniently omitted the fact that, prior to the Stenner install, I was relying on 3" tabs for a part of the FC regimen....
I guess I will learn over the course of this week what it will truly take to maintain proper FC levels using strictly liquid chlorine.
As it is, I have already tripled the injection time as the FC levels trended downward each day.
Living and learning...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.