tgbfdl

May 22, 2017
Fond Du Lac
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm finally getting around to installing a Stenner pump to simplify the addition of chlorine to my pool. I have 2 questions though. I would like to remove my inline tab feeder and replace with some PVC piping and attach the stenner in it's place. The tab feeder is connected with 2 unions. The female part of the union will remain but how can i find a male union that will match up perfectly with what's already there? There is not enough room to cut out the pipe and still have enough room to glue in new fittings. If that doesn't work where do you recommend that i drill and tap the pipe for the injector? The drill and tap method would be my least desirable option. 2nd question is in regards to wiring the stenner. In order to avoid using another breaker slot in my Easy Touch am I able to hook onto the load side of the existing GFCI outlet (on side of Easy Touch) and then over to the Aux relay that I have assigned to the Stenner? Thanks!

Attachments

• chlorinator.jpg
    chlorinator.jpg
    513.3 KB · Views: 63
The female part of the union will remain but how can i find a male union that will match up perfectly with what's already there?
Looks like the parts can be ordered separately from INYO pools. Or you could buy/try Home Depot/Lowe’s version to see IF they would match up (unlikely).

I don’t personally like the drill and tap method either. In place of the chlorinator, I would put a 2” reducing cross that has 1” threaded outlets on the sides (for future who knows what: thermometer probe, acid injector, ph/orp probe). I’m pretty sure I bought one of those at Lowe’s but can’t find them online so don’t know if they still exist. Then “cap” one side and put one of these on the other to screw in your stenner injection valve (this might not be the exact one...possibly the stenner injector needs 3/8” interior threads):

2nd question is in regards to wiring the stenner. In order to avoid using another breaker slot in my Easy Touch am I able to hook onto the load side of the existing GFCI outlet (on side of Easy Touch) and then over to the Aux relay that I have assigned to the Stenner?
To me, this seems like a good plan but I don’t know all the codes...stenner pumps don’t draw that much current and it would be nice to have the gfi protection. But the plan doesn’t seem to take into account that the stenner pump could possibly run without the pump going. You would schedule the Aux relay only during pump “run times”, but that is not necessarily a guarantee. I don’t know what options you have in your system for “guaranteeing” the pump is running while the stenner is injecting chlorine.

Maybe others might have an idea.

I did the drill and tap 4 years ago and have not had any issues. For me it was the simplest approach. I wired my Stenner to an extra relay and just set the time to run 5 minutes after my main pump starts. I have not had any issues with that either. Good luck !

Reactions: Iam1964
I did the drill and tap 4 years ago and have not had any issues. For me it was the simplest approach. I wired my Stenner to an extra relay and just set the time to run 5 minutes after my main pump starts. I have not had any issues with that either. Good luck !
Hi @rphpool, I also have the Easytouch 8 and I was wondering how you wired the Stenner into the ET? Do you have a diagram.

thanks
Ian.

I do not have a diagram. I wired a regular plug in a metal box to the #8 relay not being used. That way I could program with the ET8 start and stop times. Others on the forum hard wire the Stenner pump to a free relay, works the same. Does your ET8 have a plug already installed on the side of the box, some do? I left my box in side of the ET8 box, others use the outside plug knockout.

Reactions: Iam1964
Thanks @rphpool , I have talked with my PB and he is gonna hook me up with his electrician to install it. Hopefully the pump will be here this week as I just received a shipping notification ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.